Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-31-2008, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So i found out that we are not required to have a license for a "lawn cutting" business, but that limits us to "mowing, blowing, trimming, edging, weeding, etc." according to the La Dept of Agriculture.

There is a pesticide applicators license, and here is what the LDAF says about it. "Certain herbicides and pesticides cannot be sold to the public; they can be sold only to those who have the proper license to purchase them. A person who sprays agricultural chemicals as part of a job in which he receives a salary can use the Private Pesticide Applicator's License to purchase these commercial chemicals. A person in a business where he sprays chemicals for a fee (such as a lawn-care business) will need a Commercial Applicator's License."

Now I'm curious if there is a way to work around the commercial applicator's license using only a private pesticide applicator's license. Any advice?
Old 03-31-2008, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulup View Post
Now I'm curious if there is a way to work around the commercial applicator's license using only a private pesticide applicator's license. Any advice?
Doubtful. One of the more major reasons for holding a commercial applicator's license is to avoid problems with the Ag. Dept. I'm going to assume that, if someone from the Ag. Dept. were to approach you while you were spraying chemicals and ask for proof of your licensing, they would not accept the private applicator's license considering that you're spraying commercially.

You would then be slapped with the same fines as the person with no license.

Just do the right thing: learn, study, take the test, and get the commercial app license.

Just my .02..
Old 03-31-2008, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, i figured i would be doing that anyway, but it would be nice to offer a full service lawn care business now, as opposed to a couple months from now when i finish my licensing. So, I don't need a license to cut grass, but i need one to fertilize/pest control, and one to plant anything.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Member

This should help everyone with LA licensing questions. Go to my website and click on the link in my about us page. When you click on the type of license it pulls up a list of everyone licensed in the state. And it gives a description of the license at the top. Hope this helps.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Member

I am from West Monroe. I live in Mccomb, MS now. We are 10 miles north of the LA line just north of Kentwood
Old 04-11-2008, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well as of today i have my company name, EIN, Business Checking acct and a business visa in the mail. Now, for insurance, business cards and advertising. Gotta get over this "I only have one client" hump.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

heat rash

Just wondering if any of you wear a skirt with no under garments ? Like the Man from Clinton LA. LMAO
Old 04-13-2008, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Member

I feel you brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulup View Post
Well as of today i have my company name, EIN, Business Checking acct and a business visa in the mail. Now, for insurance, business cards and advertising. Gotta get over this "I only have one client" hump.
I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. "only one client" I ran an add in the classifieds. I have not take thDuring this time I have picked up 15 more, I am only doing this part time. I would like a saturday off. I am having trouble turning clients down. I sure could use a baseline for how to to price these yards. I cut two acres and weed eated for 300 and I felt that I may have overcharged the lady, but her grass was waste high so now that I am through I think another 100 should have been in order. I did have to hire some help, or I would still be there.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrumleyLandscapeMgmnt View Post
Any NE Louisiana folks on here?
I check in Lawnsite every once in a while. I see your truck around town often. You been staying busy?
Old 05-03-2008, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslawn View Post
I check in Lawnsite every once in a while. I see your truck around town often. You been staying busy?
Where do you live in la? Your sig says you are a redmax user. What redmax stuff do you have? I love their back pack blowers. Have two 7001s.