Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-24-2007, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hedge trimmer troubles THT2100

I have an older (6 or so years old) hedge trimmer, model THT2100. YEllow sticker on the housing had a number of V065336, if that helps.

Unit is VERY tempermental. When it was newer it ran and always started fine, but in the past few years it's been giving fits. Often, if it takes more than a few pulls to get it to fire and run it will flood the cylinder and soak the spark plug with fuel. It will do this with or without the choke on. I had it in a repair shop last summer and they went thru it and had it running good but that was very short lived. within a couple uses it was back to running bad. By bad, I mean it seems like its running very lean. RPM's are extrememly HIGH at full throttle and has that "lean" sound to it. Only way to get it to run decent is to run at about 1/2 to 2/3 choke and keep off the throttle as much as possible.

Tonight I took the carb. apart and CAREFULLY cleaned it out, I replaced the main fuel line and found that the primer was broken. I removed the primer totally and plugged the elbow going into the carb. with a piece of fuel line crimped off and the same for the end going into the tank. After I reassembled it I was able to get it started right off and it ran perfect again. I ran it for several minutes with no problems, shut off and restarted a couple times. Went to start it again and now it's flooding the cylinder again... After the plug is dried it will sputter once when trying to start, but that's it. Is there some thing I need to do to get it to stop flooding the carb? Is there a repair kit for it? I also need the fuel tank breather, the one I have leaks. I'm not aware of any Tanaka dealers anywhere close to me! I kinda need this fixed soon, I use this for cutting pampas grass, and that's needing done quick!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Sponsor

Response

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. Here are some thoughts from our tech guys....

It sounds like there are several things going on with this machine.

First, the carburetor sounds as though it's not holding pressure internally. This can be tested using a Walbro pressure tester. Short of having that tool, you're only choice is to replace the carburetor. Carbs with a primer have a high speed check valve, so replacement of both carb and primer is probably in order.

Additionally, it sounds like the other fuel components may be nearing the end of their service life. Keep in mind that all of those parts (tank cap, fuel lines, grommets, fuel filter), are very unforgiving. What I mean is they have to provide an air-tight seal, or gas will not adequately flow to the carb, as pressure within the tank is what feeds the fuel to the carb.

You didn't mention in your note, but you may have a build up of carbon in the tail pipe, or the actual exhaust port where the muffler attaches to the cylinder.

With six years of commercial service - most operators would be tickled. However, it may be a case where the unit is aged but hasn't accrued a lot of hours in use. It would be worthwhile to take a compression check using a screw in type compression gauge. The unit had roughly 130PSI when new. It would have severe starting and running problems less than about 105-110PSI. Low compression is simply the inability of the piston rings to seal against the cylinder walls, and is a function of normal wear.

If you're still unable to figure it out - give us a call. 1-888-482-6252

-MW