Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-25-2007, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Selling some stuff, got a weird call, maybe a scam!

Got a call tonight on some things I'm trying to sell via the local newspaper classifieds. The call was apparently from a deaf person, using a 3rd party who was using a computer and reading me what was typed and typing what I was saying, you get the point. Iv'e never talked to a deaf person on the phone before, don't know if this was how it was done or not, seemed legit to me. Guy gave me his email address and just wanted me to send him the list of stuff I have left and prices. Ok, no problem. I sent the onfo and some time later I see I had a responce from the guy. Remember, this was a local ad only, however I'm sure it's online from our local paper's website.

This is what the responce was:
Quote:
Hi,
Thanks very much for your email, it was really nice speaking with
you via e mail , The reason I am sending you this email is to make final reconfirmation and also to let you know that payment will be by( certified check)or (Money Order) .
In view of this I need you to email me all information that may be required to send the (Money Order)or( certified check), as I do not want to send the (Money Order )or( certified check)to a wrong location lest they gets into the wrong hands.
I want you to Reserve for me only the Striping Kit for a Dixon Kodiak mower, will fit a 50" or 60" mower- for $150 available .Regarding the shipping, I have a company that takes care of the pick up of my consignments for me and ship to my destination anywhere in the world, you do not worry about shipping, the company will send down a representative to arrange the sales documentation and the pick up from your end for onward transfer to my destination.
I also want to alert you on the fact that you will be recieving an Glass, which will cover the money for the pickup (pickup and shipping to the final destination) as well as the money to be paid to the company that will take care of the pickup and the documentation with you.
So please, as soon as you receive the Money Order or certified check, go and cash them immediately, deduct the money that accrues to you, and send the balance to the Head Office of the company that handles the shipment via the nearest Western Union agent in your area. Deduct the Western Union charges from the balance and send the remaining to Shipping company immediately .
The (Money Order)or( certified check) will be in your name to make it
easier for you to receive payment, deduct your money and send the balance via Western Union as regards my earlier direction, please reconfirm your details one more time.
I will give you the details of the company that you will send the balance of the money to Shipping company once I get a reply and agreement that you will send the money to Shipping company via Western Union money transfer immediately you cash the (Money Order)or( certified check).
Once the money is received by the agent Shipping company the shipping agent will contact you immediately to arrange the documentation as well as the pick up immediately. So in view of the above, here are some of the details I will need for final issuance of the USPS Mone Order to you or certified check.
(1) Full Names
(2) Mailing address, No P.O.Box Please
(3) Your direct Telephone Numbers(Home and Office and Cell)
(4) Acceptance of my offer and agreement to send the balance of
the money to the Shipping company Via Western Union Money
Transfer.Once you get back to me with all the above, the ( certified check)or(Money Order).will be issued out immediately and it will be sent to you .
I think i'm VERY glad I was wise enough to not go tapping my home address and phone number onto my email I sent. I think I was foolish enough to even give my name. I responded: Will not ship any item, will not be scammed, thanks.

What do you think of what I received?
Old 02-25-2007, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah it's legit...I've had to do it, a little different...time consuming, but legit

but I did not read the conversation either..

www.andrewlawn.com'>http://andrewlawn.com">andrewlawn.com
Old 02-25-2007, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by apowell18 View Post
Yeah it's legit...I've had to do it, a little different...time consuming, but legit

but I did not read the conversation either..
You feel this is legit? Holy hell Why in the HELL would someone want to go to so much trouble to get something shipped??? Iv'e shipped things before, not that big of a deal, but they just send me money, I ship the item.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Member

keep in mind my last comment...I was referring to the deaf person phone call...

www.andrewlawn.com'>http://andrewlawn.com">andrewlawn.com
Old 02-25-2007, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by apowell18 View Post
keep in mind my last comment...I was referring to the deaf person phone call...
Ah i see. The conversation was VERY breif. After I was told what was going on by the 3rd party member on th phone he read to me what the guy had typed, asking if I still had the items I had listed for sale. I said "yes" long pause, he than asked if I could email the items I had listed to him. I said "yes" again. Long pause. He read to me the email address and that was about it. I was sitting here anyway so I compiled the information and sent the email.

What I received back was what I posted above.

My "guess" is that the deaf thing was a fancy scam... In order to give them an obvious way to not be able to talk to me in a normal fashion.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Whether it's a scam or not, it's way too much rigmarole.

It's likely some kind of identity theft nonsense, but even if it were not and even if it's legit, that guy should've been more careful so as to not rigmarole it in such a way that it smells fishy from a long ways away. It's almost in the tone of a nigerian 419 scam.

Because most anytime *I* want something in a case such as yours, I would ask you to ship the stuff COD (and give you MY address)...
Which, nowadays some folks seem to have a problem doing that as well, but it's the easiest, the recipient has to pay for it at the time of receipt (+COD fee of like 5-10 bucks) and you include the price of the shipping also, then the Post Office sends you a check (or something like that).

As for the answer, lol, I still come off like that somedays too, but I've been working hard on completely ignoring that kind of stuff, just in case it is legit, you can pretend you simply never got his email... Either way, I think you did the right thing, there's no telling and that makes the risk too high for you.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's a scam. Probably some @sshole in Nigeria.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

IT'S A SCAM!!! AN IDENTITY THEFT SCAM. The scam was when they asked for your info. You would never have gotten any payment in the mail. YOU SHOULD REPORT IT TO THE POLICE. And a pretty overt scam at that. A shipping company is going to pick up a striping kit? Please! It's the kind of thing you put in a box and MAIL out for an extra $25. Who thought this one up?!
Old 02-25-2007, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

SCAM!!!!! My buddy got ripped off, someone got his credit card number and spent a whole bunch of money at Western Union, UNTRACEABLE! The FBI unit that investigated the whole thing told him that because the transactions were done through Western Union, they couldn't do a thing. His credit card company ended up refunding his money once he could prove it was not him that did the spending. This guy owns a car dealership, and we're not talking about hundreds that were stolen!! Evidently these guys get someones card number, then do this whole 'Western Union the money' thing, they dont care if they ever get the merchandise you are selling, they just want the money you forward them. It would be interesting to e-mail the guy back, let him know you just went to the police b/c his e-mail made you a little wary... see if you ever hear from him again.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Definitely a scam.