Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2007, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is not your typical arborvitae (Thuja occidentallis or Eastern White Cedar). It is Western Red Cedar. A native plant to western North America. It is not a wetlands plant. It grows in the mountains in fact. It also has a pretty good tolerance to shady conditions.

I've stood on 12' diameter stumps of these in Idaho. They usually hollow out with age, but are used a lot for western split cedar fencing that most of you have seen. I also had a unique experience of burning the slash on a 25 acre selective cut of these that crossed the ridge of a small mountain range (~5,000 elevation). This stand was growing over the ridge rather than in a wetland. One hundred + degree summers and an occassional -50 in the winter and about 30" of rainfall per year, almost all between October and June and in the form of snow. Very low humidity year 'round where this stand was. Heavy silt soil. (conditions specific to the stand that I dealt with, not necessarily what is best forthem.

Very cool tree which also has pretty high value as timber.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams To Designs View Post
... If you have the room, stagger your planting, and you can tighten them up to a 6' center, if you must plant in a straight line, perhaps 8'-9' centers would be more appropriate. ...
Sorry to resurrect this thread, my wife went into labor the day after I posted the thread and have been a little busy the past week or so!

When you say 6 ft centers is that tree to tree and between rows?

O<---12--->O<---12--->O
^ ^
|(6') | (6')
| |
O O
Like this?
Old 03-09-2007, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

green giants

First of all, congrats! First post here in quite a while. I have had great success with green giants here in Maryland. And when I mean great, I mean zero mortality of maybe 100 plants between 8'-14' high. A few bag worms on one site, but nothing else seems to bother them. Staked one group which was on a very windy site, and the root balls were mush. Others, planted, kept watered first year, no problemo.
They are a hybrid of thuja plicata and thuja standishii. They are pretty deer resistant in this area (a little nibbling) and so far no real problems.
I just hope their increased use won't lead to an opportunistic disease/pest to pounce on an abundant host.
I'd never use another leyland. I have a small pic of one green giant planting on my website. They were abused. The client wanted them closer together after I had them in the ground AND unwrapped.(12 ft. trees) Moved them, staked them, watered them. The following year they were already rooted out a foot past the original hole.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Thuja Plicata Dormant??

I just planted 28 of these in my own yard in the middle of September. I would say I already have 6" of growth. I am concerned about the color of the leaves though. Notice in the picture the new growth on top that is turning yellow and the overall yellow appearance in the other picture. Is this normal going into colder temps?
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2008, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone?? Do they look alright?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Green giant's a very durable and will likely recover from what appears to be lack of water. They can brown out or drop entire branches if the get too dry, until established. With the rains you are receiving now, and likely the cold weather on the way, just keep an eye on them so that they don't dry out.

It would be a help to remove more of the turf around them and add mulch around the roots, but keeping it from contacting the trunk.

Kirk
Old 10-28-2008, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

As Kirk said.

Also, keep them watered until the ground freezes. You may want to provide some type of wind protection to keep dessication to a minimum.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 10-30-2008, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replys
Old 11-25-2008, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am having the same problem on a 10-12ft arb I put in with some other trees. It's turning the same yellow on the some of the end points of the branches. I know its plenty wet though because we had to move it after the customer changed his mind about where he wanted it and the rootball was soaked. The discoloration was there before we moved it though so I don't think its from the double planting shock.

"Democracy is not a choice between good and bad, but between bad and worse."