Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2007, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Trademarking my business motto?

How would I go about trademarking or officially registering a motto I have in mind for my business? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lohse's Lawn Service
Old 02-26-2007, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnboy85 View Post
How would I go about trademarking or officially registering a motto I have in mind for my business? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lohse's Lawn Service
My wife looked into it for her florist shop.....it was 1000's and had to be done thru a lawyer. there might be an easier way but thats what she came up with
21" Craftsman Mower
2 Redmax Wackers
2 Redmax 8001 Blowers
2 BillyGoat Push Blowers
Echo Stick Edger
Echo Hedge trimmers
Craftsman Edger
3 Screw Drivers, a hammer and duct tape
12x6 Open Trailer (FOR SALE)
7' Myers Plow (Has seen 8" of snow) NJ SUCKS
www.MrMowItallLandscaping.Com
Old 02-26-2007, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Why worry about it?

For I Am A Better Than You Will Ever Be!<--LMAO
Old 02-26-2007, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Just use the little copyright symbol © and year and you are legally covered. Trademarking is a long and drawn out process. Yes, you will need a lawyer.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

To protect a trademark you've got to hunt for violators and go legal. If you don't rigorously defend your trademark, you lose it. So to pursue this path you need to have the monetary resources to hire a lawyer to do the initial groundwork, and then you need to be able to afford to have lawyers enforce your trademark rights, as I understand it. Although you can put a "TM" on things just to show your intention of trademarking.

I got that info from legal seminars I attended years ago. I think it's correct?

It's all too much trouble in my opinion.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The same goes for copyrights. It is not just a matter of sticking a symbol by it. It has to be a registered copyright.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Member

From the Colorado University website:

How Do I Include a Formal Copyright Symbol?

Under current law, the formal copyright notice is no longer required to secure copyright protection. Nevertheless, use of the notice is still good practice for many practical reasons and for some possible legal benefits that may later arise. The Copyright Management Center recommends that you include the statutory and conventional copyright notice, consisting of three elements: the word "copyright" or the copyright symbol, the year, and the name of the copyright owner. A typical notice may appear as follows: "Copyright 2002, [your name]."

You no doubt will often see "All Rights Reserved" added after the formal copyright notice on many works. It is a requirement that once had great importance for securing rights in some foreign countries pursuant to the Buenos Aires Convention of 1914. Most of those countries since have signed the Berne Convention, which provides for mutual copyright protection of works from many foreign countries, regardless of any copyright notice whatsoever on the work. Thus, the phrase "All Rights Reserved" may grant additional protection in only a few countries. If you are concerned, feel free to add it on your work.

How Do I Register My Copyrights?

As with the formal copyright notice, copyright registration is also no longer required under current law. But it also provides some important practical and legal benefits. In particular, if you anticipate the need to rigorously enforce protection of the work, or if you plan to publish it, you should register your work with the U.S. Copyright Office. Check out the Copyright Registration page at the U.S. Copyright Office for helpful insights and instructions.

https://www.cu.edu/ip/copyright/copy...g-my-work.html
Old 02-27-2007, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow2nd-2 View Post
Why worry about it?
Exactly my thought when I read this. It is a lawn biz. When you get to be on a national level and are THE major player in the industry then trademark your slogan.

Ask yourself: How many LCO's have I seen with a trademark?
Old 02-28-2007, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherlawnguy View Post
Exactly my thought when I read this. It is a lawn biz. When you get to be on a national level and are THE major player in the industry then trademark your slogan.

Ask yourself: How many LCO's have I seen with a trademark?
Don't worry about it? So when I have my INGENIOUS slogan printed on my enclosed trailer, t-shirts, and business cards, I don't want to have to worry about someone else stealing my brilliant idea and claiming it as their own. Why take the risk? My question was basically, 'what's the process and is it necessary?' If it's too much trouble and costly, then I won't share it with the rest of the world. I still appreciate your input though. Good luck to you this year. Maybe your suggestion of 'when your business is on a national level...' will come true someday, all because of my clever business motto.