Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2007, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Member

New to business, need advice

Hey gang. I am new to the business and could use some advice.

I started my business as a plowing co. Insurance was a bear to get, so I opened a LLC being a Lawn maintenance co. that also does plowing.

Now that the season is before us, I am getting ready to get equipment.
First, I will say that this is and always will be a small business. Though, I have the means to get commercial equipment and the tools needed to do the job, I do not want to ramp up with too much equipment, just in case the plan goes south.

In the beginning, I will start with only residential work.

Things I have:
3/4 ton truck, Rakes, shovels, wheel barrow, back pack blower (Kawasaki 42cc backpack blower bought from Lowes a couple years ago for my own personal lawn, not sure if it is strong enough though).

Things I need:
New trimmer
Walk behind or zero turn mower
Trailer

I am totally new to this. Other than taking care of my own lawn, I have no clue. I have asked friends in the business questions and have gotten some ideas but nothing spectular. This is also not my only source of income. This is a business venture for extra cash for the family and if it works out, maybe could be the only source.

Any advice is welcomed. TIA.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey questions How many guys are going to be working with you?
What market are you going after?
What size lots?
Do you just want to do mowing?
We use ECHO products for everything. Your KAW I dont know if it will hold up might get you started for a season thou.
If all you are going to do is mowing then just get a 48" or 52" WB and load it in the back of the truck.
If your going to have help (one guy) then you are still ok.
My .02 worth
JOSH
Old 02-27-2007, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Are you gonna be legal? i would say your blower will be ok to start with. if your going to just do small residential get a walk behind mower, i use belt drive because they are easier and cheaper to work on/fix and they are less expensive, although most people on here prefer hydro, brand doesn't really matter as long as its a commerical mower, price shop and test drive till you find the mowe right for you. i would recommend getting a enclosed trailer as your equipment stays safe and dry. you'll learn alot as you go just from the hands on experience but when ever you have a question just ask on here and/or someone at your local nursery/seed-fert supplier/ or where you buy your mower between that you should be able to find out what you need to know. Also you could go to turf school (although i don't recommend it, but thats my opinion) many people on here swear by it and being that your new it may help you.

For I Am A Better Than You Will Ever Be!<--LMAO
Old 02-27-2007, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would also suggest getting a good 48" commercial walkbehind w/sulky and a good commercial 21" trim mower. I think for a trailer you should get at least a 16" tandem axle my reason for this is two fold first if you stay in this field you will eventually need it and second if you decide to get out of it more people will want a 16".
Old 02-27-2007, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Walker Landscape,
I will be working solo. I am keeping it to just mowing for now. Lot size would be up to 2 acres.

Mow2nd-2,
I am legal. My Co. is registered and I have insurance.

What are good brands? I, myself have 2 acres. So I could use a zero turn at my house. I am not afraid to spend the money. At least if the business doesn't work out, I could use the equipment at my house.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Then if your budget is good then go with a Z and a Wb Two acres would be a long ride on a sulky. You Brands ae what you wnat test drive test drive then research Everyone here has there favorite mine is Toro. If it dont work out You could allways sell the WB.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Use Fluid Film on all your equipment for corrosion prevention and lubrication. It will outlast anything you are using now.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a quick question how beat up a 3.4 toyata standard tacoma would get if i hauled about 2000 pounds in a trailer and then sometimes loads of mulch/logs?
Old 02-27-2007, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Member

When I was still in high school started my business with the following. 1/2 ton truck a couple of push mowers, trimmer, blower and my fathers hand tools all in bed of truck. My first purchase that has allowed me to grow was the " 48 toro walk behind and have not looked back yet. Many Many years later just bought zero.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano50 View Post
Use Fluid Film on all your equipment for corrosion prevention and lubrication. It will outlast anything you are using now.
Dan,
I use your product already and will be sure to continue using it in my new venture. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelorey494103
I have a quick question how beat up a 3.4 toyata standard tacoma would get if i hauled about 2000 pounds in a trailer and then sometimes loads of mulch/logs?
I am sorry I can't answer your question. I am sure it is better suited in the proper thread on this forum. I am also sure you have a higher probability of getting a better answer in the correct thread.