Register free!

Old 01-04-2007, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Turnaer 26 radius

Howdy,
Hoping to hear from people who own a Turnaer 26. I am impressed with the DVD they sent out and am contemplating one. Here are my three questions.
1. Without the chariot, what is the turning radius. I have lots of little 1/4 acre properties, will it work well on them? (I also have many big props)
2. It looked a little tricky to maneuver and load in transport mode. Is it? Would it be a pain to get it up an expanded metal tailgate?
3. Has it met your expectations? Any problems?
Thanks for any help.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle
Old 01-04-2007, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a lot of small yards, you might want to consider the smaller 19 inch model. It still has the chariot and would be easier to maneuver and load than the 26.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Member

TurnAer

LawnTamer,
I agree with sclawndr on the appropriate size of TurnAer for your situation. Our guidelines are if the average size of the lawns that you aerate is less than 8,000 sq./ft you should go with a TurnAer 4 which has an 18" aerating width. Purchase the Chariot (sulky) and you can ride the larger properties. Or you can purchase the Aerator 20 (traditional type aerator) for the small areas and a TurnAer 6 for larger areas.

With the TurnAer the operator's goal is to eliminate lifting in turning. To accomplish this the operator needs to trim the lawn then make two passes down the middle and finish by aerating from the outside to the inside. The two passes down the middle leave a wide enough aerated area that the operator can make turns on the inside and not lift.

Regarding loading the Turnaers we have introduced "Front Traction Drive" for 2007. We have replaced the plastic drum, common on most aerators, with rubber tires. With this feature the TurnAers walk right up a ramp with no effort from the operator.

If your operators run the machines correctly they will be 30% more productive than if they were using traditional aerators. A two man team using TurnAers in the Twin Cities this fall had several days where they completed over 25 lawns.

Call us if we assist.

Tim Gray
Turfco Mfg.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi

I bought a Turn-Air about two years ago. The machine appears to be quality built BUT it did not work out for us. The machine does not operate as intended. When we used it, we seemed to be working as hard or harder as we did with our Ryan . The attachment from the machine to the sulky appears to be a little funky. It had a hitch pin design that would bind and eventually broke. Moving the machine on a paved surface was very difficult with the sulky.

Their service was great, along with the support. We only used the machine a few times, sold it , took a loss. the following season I bought a Z-Plugger. One of the best pieces of equipment I own.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Holden Green Turf. My quess is that you tried to operate the TurnAer like a Ryan aerator. When you do that it is difficult to operate. The TurnAer is designed to be driven using the brakes. Too many times people try to muscle it around and it is heavy. Also the hitch mechanism has been fixed. Here are some tips. The bigger one is designed for lots 10,000 and larger. It can be used on smaller lot sizes but you loose effeciency as you go smaller. The smaller machine is for that. it trims faster and quicker. Yes the small drums did spin and make it hard to tow the chariot on concrete and the like. the drums will be rubber in 07 to get that traction.

LawnTamer, To answer your question. The TurnAer will turn in it's own width just using the brakes and tighter if you assist using the handle. It is designed so you can go back and forth on a lawn by skipping every other row. Then you come back and get the skipped rows in the next pass. That way the tines stay in the ground aerating all the time. If you treat it like a Ryan you go across the lawn.....stop pick up the machine....turn it...drop it down and start out again across the lawn. the stop, pick up, turn are all lost time. With the turn aer you are making holes all the time even in the turns. If...you operate it correctly. Also the riding attachment is only for larger lawns. It becomes non productive on smaller lawns. But can be used there once you get good at operating the unit.

Turfcobob,
Old 01-28-2007, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Turfcobob, Both my son and myself operated the machine as instructed. I have owned a Ryan along with two other another brands. All I can say is, I expected more out of the machine and less work. I have been aerating since 1985, tried most all of the different brands. Any way you look at it, its work, even with a Turfco.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Holden, Did you let the TurnAer do the work and you just follow and drive? It is designed to be used that way. Go around the lawn like you would with a mid size mower and just follow the machine, let it do the work. Operated correctly it is no more work than a mid size mower. All you have to do is walk behind it or with a chariot, ride behind it. that is nothing like the work of traditional lift to turn aerators.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

You forgot to mention the design problems with that model year. The problems of moving the machine forward on pavement, the terrible hitch pin binding problems, and what a joy that machine was to unload from the trailer with the silky on it. If you made improvements fine, but don't tell people that I was not operating it properly. With trees, bushes, swings, and everything else that is in every yard, you just don't just get on it and use the brakes to turn it. Get real.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Holden: The Chariot comes off for loading and unloading as well as for Transport on the older units. The little plastic drum will pull the aerator but nothing else on paving of any kind. While in the lawn one shold use the tines for transport not the plastic drum. Concerning operation I was inferring that you were probably trying to go across and back on a lawn like we did with the ryan type aerators. This makes one have to do a 180 degree turn with the TurnAer. Something it is not designed to do. It does have a turn that is less than its own width. Using the brakes one can turn the unit in less than 18 inches and go back across the lawn. The other common mistake is people try to lift the unit up onto the drum to make end turns. It is not designed for that either. It is designed to be driven like a mid size mower and not muscled around. When operated properly it is easy to use. My 84 year old father did his two acre lawn twice without a sweat. I am 60 with steel rods up my back and I do not have a problem with the unit. So I cannot agree that the unit is hard to operate. When used correctly.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Cmon, I can buy you operating it at 60, and maybe even with steel rods in your back, but your dad doing two acres twice without breaking a sweat. ask your dad if he is ever in need of work, give me a call. By the way, do you sell used cars on the side?