Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2007, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

experience....

Quote:
Originally Posted by green-pa View Post
I don't mean to sound dumb, but I am ignorant about edging
What exactly is that? And do I need another tool besides, mower,
trimmer ( weed eater), and blower for this?
not being mean, or giving you a hard time but think about this.....you dont know what to charge, when to trim or what edging is......?

too many people try to get into this business without any professional skill, let along basic knowledge..... it really sounds like you should get a job with a professional company for a while and gain some experience..... your really not qualified to run a lawn maintenence company yet.....
6 full time
Old 02-28-2007, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow2nd-2 View Post
yes i know that trimming or string trimming is the correct term. the term weedeating helps determine exactly what type of trimming he was talking about, due to the fact he mentioned "yards with average tree/shrub"
but it makes you sound very unproffesional. say line trimming. that clears it up. hedge trimming is the other. ok?

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 02-28-2007, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Isn't it all trimming?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveintoledo View Post
not being mean, or giving you a hard time but think about this.....you dont know what to charge, when to trim or what edging is......?

too many people try to get into this business without any professional skill, let along basic knowledge..... it really sounds like you should get a job with a professional company for a while and gain some experience..... your really not qualified to run a lawn maintenence company yet.....
This is not rocket science. I'm well aware of what it takes to make a yard look very good. With a bit of hands on experience I'll learn how to make it great, and soon after that, excellent. I've got a 1/3 acre yard I've been cutting for 15 years and trimming as well. And who is to say if I'm qualified or not? I was unaware of any qualifications or degree it takes to cut grass?
lol. I know how some of u guys do to the new guys, even with each other; u waste time on here arguing, putting someone elses idea down, or belittling the new guy. It's all such waste of time. I'm new so I don't expect to do as well as someone that is more experienced with "edging" and all that, but I'll find out exactly how to do it. I'm not going to respond to anyone else who tries to waste time by trying to detour me from this biz.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yep! sure is!

Old 02-28-2007, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanlawnandlandscape View Post
but it makes you sound very unproffesional. say line trimming. that clears it up. hedge trimming is the other. ok?
Ok, so line trimming = trimming grass and then hedge trimming ( of course ) is trimming shrubs and the like. Just wanted to get that clear. I was reading a book from the 80's that spoke about how most people then only wanted there lawn mowed and trimming was something they would do themselves. I guess the world has changed a lot in the last 20-25 years huh?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't sweat them Green-PA, your doing right thing by asking for help when your unsure, and your right it ain't rocket science just use your commen sence and with a little practice you'll be fine. it won't take you 10 min to figure out how to edge with a weedeater, i just hold it upside down and walk backwards with it because its easier to see what your doing and the weedeater will be turning away from you. Good Luck.

For I Am A Better Than You Will Ever Be!<--LMAO
Old 02-28-2007, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly! your gettin it!

You will still find people like that today. i dont do those kind cuz it makes your biz look bad, (imo), ive even got calls from people who just want their yard trimmed! i had two ladys come up to me last year and they just wanted they yard edged. so i told them how much, (minimum $35) but since i was next door i dropped it to $25, they said what?? and walked away. you will get some really strange people call you and come up to you. its a fun biz to be in.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow2nd-2 View Post
Don't sweat them Green-PA, your doing right thing by asking for help when your unsure, and your right it ain't rocket science just use your commen sence and with a little practice you'll be fine. it won't take you 10 min to figure out how to edge with a weedeater, i just hold it upside down and walk backwards with it because its easier to see what your doing and the weedeater will be turning away from you. Good Luck.
Ha ha ha haaa! THanks Mow2nd-2 for the encouraging words! I will try it just as u said to
Old 02-28-2007, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanlawnandlandscape View Post
Exactly! your gettin it!

you will get some really strange people call you and come up to you. its a fun biz to be in.
Yeah, thanks Texanlawn! I'm lookin' 4ward 2 it!!