Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2007, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

DBA?.....LLC?.......or INC.?

My brother and I are starting a small landscape maintenance business. We dont know what to register as. If you could help us that would be great. Thanks
Old 02-27-2007, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

do a quick search for LLC on here. theres been a lot of threads lately pertaining to this matter.

Heres one : http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...&highlight=llc
Old 02-28-2007, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks I checked that site out and im starting to get it. But im confused on the DBA is that just getting my name? LLC and Inc. is to seperate things that deal with how much insuranc you get and need? Or am I just totaly off?
Old 02-28-2007, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Insurance is seperate from the LLC or Inc. The insurance you get is whatever you feel it should be, id say no less than 500K.

I do not know about the DBA & LLC stuff, but im pretty sure that it registers you with your state as a business and you get a tax i.d # . but it is still connected to you and your assets. Getting an LLC, seperates what is considered the business's assets.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

dont quote me on that. do a couple more searches here for getting an LLC. like i said theres been a lot of threads on here the past couple days about starting an LLC.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Member

my dad owns his own business doing boat canvas and he is DBA. He said it's the easiest and least paper work...he wasn't to up on the differnt types though
Old 02-28-2007, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SperiorLM View Post
Thanks I checked that site out and im starting to get it. But im confused on the DBA is that just getting my name? LLC and Inc. is to seperate things that deal with how much insuranc you get and need? Or am I just totaly off?
You are obviously in need of basic business information. Go the the SBA site (http://www.sba.gov/smallbusinessplanner/index.html) and read up on what it takes to start and run a business. The information will seem overwhelming at first but don't let that deter you. Running a business will also seem overwhelming at times. If you can get though the reading you will be well on your way. Good Luck!
Old 02-28-2007, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You have three options - Sole Propriatorship or in other words (DBA or "Doing Business As" which refers to obtaining the right to operate your business under a Fictitious Name like "Joe Shmoe's Lawncare"), you can take a step up from that and go LLC or Limited Liability Company (which you may consider based upon personal assets like homeownership, company's assets, partnerships, and tax preferrences, and so fourth) or you can go Inc which there are several forms. I talked to a few friends about what would be best in my situation - one has an Inc but started his business as an LLC and the other has 2 Inc and 1 LLC. It's good to find a mentor for questions like that because there are so many things to consider for anyone on this site to answer your question accurately. By the way, all the info I found on the IRS site and the web was somewhat confusing and so that is why I sought advice from other professionals. Good Luck
Old 02-28-2007, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A sole proprietorship and DBA are not one in the same. You can create a fictitious name for any type of business entity. It is just a matter of filing the proper form with the clerk of the court for your city or county. The reason for this is so people can track you down in the event they want to file a claim (i.e. law suit).

As I said earlier read up at the SBA web site. Only use the IRS web site if you are interested in finding out how to handle tax issues for your company.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Member

I am a sole proprietor and I am "doing business as' under my own name. I keep all of my business transactions in a separate personal checking account nicknamed "Landscaping Account" which comes with a debit card & checks.

In NJ, I didn't have to sign any special forms to do this.
You would have to if you were to add "landscaping" to the name you are doing business under.

On the side of my truck it looks like this:

My Full Name
~Landscaper~
(000)000-0000

When people write their checks, they put it payable to "my name"...they do not put the word "Landscaper" on the payable line at all.
Hoep this helps.

"There are things that go bump in the night. We're the ones who bump back."

(2) 61" Scag "walk" behinds
various line trimmers, edger stick, backpack blowers,
hedge trimmers, wheel blower, chain saw, etc
2001 Ram 1500 Standard (pulls the trailer)
1990 Ramcharger (stump puller)
2001 Ram 1500 Quadcab (estimates, mulch & planting jobs)