Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2007, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Decent Menu / Button Generator

I've used this one before.

http://www.buttongenerator.com

The free ones rotate. Eventually, almost all are free. I don't think that the free ones stuff garbage code in your site, but they ask for a link back if I recall.

But it could be very small and on any page, I think. >>> menus courtesy of http://www.buttongenerator.com

The buttons can go horizontal or vertical. Horizontal layout doesn't seem to look good with buttons that have a rounded edge on one side.

This site is great for auto-generating code for all the sub-menus.

I think I may make a menu on here sometime soon.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 02-28-2007, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would like to try building website like several others on here ,but not sure i will or can!

But i did notice this at the bottom of the page for the buttons.(You cannot offer the web buttons on your clipart or template website.)

So does that mean as long as you are build a website from sracth that you can use this ,but if your using template from some where else you can us this ????????? Thanks for you help.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It means that you can can use them on your entire website for menus, but you can't start making a gallery for redistribution and give-aways of them from your site.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

Old 03-02-2007, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you look at my home page, I toyed around with this generator again. Click any button in the new horizontal blue button menu and you will see the text links in the same position on other pages - and that's what I replaced with the buttons.

It's just a trial run for now.

If you use the generator, before you click the generate code button, if you have a lot of button text you typed, at least copy the entire field of the web page addresses.

If you do sub menus, maybe copy that.

The point is, if you mess up or forget, you can't hit the backbutton and recover - it cleans the slate.

So take your time and double check every period, spelling and page address in detail.

Sub menus, being text, are editable later in one of the css files supplied. I used no submenus, just bottons.

It's very easy - all the code is supplied with instructions.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

i tried using one of the buttons but it just got to confusing for me. Md how do you like the new background on my site?
Old 03-02-2007, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven386 View Post
i tried using one of the buttons but it just got to confusing for me. Md how do you like the new background on my site?
Looks good. The grass texture background looks quite good.

I saved that background tile on my computer for future use.

And your phone number is easy to see now.

Lookin' good

Old 03-02-2007, 02:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks! im starting to really get into this stuff now. im going to be using the yahoo sitebuilder to do someone elses site for them.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

i can see how youve got 1000 pages on your site! i already have 2 more made up, just dont knwo if im going to publish to the site or not.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Played around with the button / menu making site again.

I added -sub menu links under the buttons.

Its actually quite easy.

It did help enormously to copy the button name field and the button address field in notepad to a file.

Once, the internet locked up, and it only took a few moments to copy and paste the bulk of the text back and reselect the few option.

I like the advanced mode better.

My home page is 900 pixels, and since I had 9 buttons, I reduced them from like 123 pixels down to 100 so all 9 would neatly fit. That also meant changing the horizontal and vertical spacing to 0 so no space was beteen the buttons, to get my 900 pixels menu.

It took a few experimental tries, but that was the benefit of copy pasting the main typing in notepad to save it.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

looks good!. i cannot wait till i can start doing stuff like that! im really starting to get into this website design. it seemed like rocket science a few weeks ago, and now im designing someone elses. Thanks for the advice and help Mdvaden!! and everyone else! im going to try and mess around with the nav. bar one of these days. do you think i should add a link page to my site? i was thinking about adding a link to : weather in my area, Town website, links to the shirt place i used, stuff like that... what do you think?