Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2007, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I think it will possibly vary from region to region. I just put fertilizer and pre-emergent on my lawn (fescue) 2 weeks ago. I'll need to mow it within the next week or so. I am putting out flyers this weekend in abundance as I have already seen some established crews working (mostly fertilizing and trimming trees/hedges)..
Old 02-28-2007, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bet theres no snow in SC though. We still have quite a bit of snow on the ground in Indy. So like u said, I guess it depends on where u are. But then "the early bird gets the worm" as they say, so I may go ahead with mine. Does anyone think I should wait, at least 'til the snow melts? Yet we may get some more snow this weekend!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

nah get em out there.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 02-28-2007, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

some common sence..

if the customers are still worried about the ice on the sidewalks... its too early for flyers...your weather in indi is similar to here.... last week of march or so is when its on the customers minds... if they arent interested yet, flyer goes in the trash and they will call someone who sent out the flyers at the right time..

march 19 my flyers go out to selected towns via newspaper inserts..... march 26 i have ads run in local paper for 4 weeks..... that gives me 5 weeks of exposure when lawn care is on the publics mind.....

not when they are still watching the 10 inches of snow we have slowly melt....
6 full time
Old 02-28-2007, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My flyers are going out March 15th, ads in the paper the second week of march until the season ends. I get calls all season, not just at the beginning. Also, I have a money mailer ad going out on the 15th.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

man im goin crazy now! i dont think i could wait til the end of march to start mowing. im mowing tomorow! it was 80 degress the past two days here...75 today.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

No snow here bro.. It is sunny and close to 70 degrees. In my area, I feel like I am behind as far as flyers go because I do see crews out and about. I think like DaveinToledo said, timing is everything, but that depends a lot on where you are. You want to maximize your advertising $ and if snow is still on the ground, I do think they would possibly get thrown out. North and South are very different (my wife is a yank - New England, so I know from experience). LOL
Old 02-28-2007, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanlawnandlandscape View Post
man im goin crazy now! i dont think i could wait til the end of march to start mowing. im mowing tomorow! it was 80 degress the past two days here...75 today.

I bet ya'll in Tx get a lot more mowing months dontya? What is it, like 8 or 9 months of the year? I'm guessing Indiana is around 6-7 for the most part.
It's 75-80 deg. there, while it's still nearly freezing here in IN!
Old 02-28-2007, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yard Cowboy View Post
No snow here bro.. It is sunny and close to 70 degrees. In my area, I feel like I am behind as far as flyers go because I do see crews out and about. I think like DaveinToledo said, timing is everything, but that depends a lot on where you are. You want to maximize your advertising $ and if snow is still on the ground, I do think they would possibly get thrown out. North and South are very different (my wife is a yank - New England, so I know from experience). LOL
Yeah Yard Cowboy, this is true. I want to maximize the effectiveness of the flyers so I think I'll wait to do anymore. I did 100 today. I'll probably wait at least another 2-3 weeks to do anymore ( by then surely the snow will all be melted and folk's lawns will be much more on their minds)! I was just getting so anxious!
Old 02-28-2007, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by green-pa View Post
I bet ya'll in Tx get a lot more mowing months dontya? What is it, like 8 or 9 months of the year? I'm guessing Indiana is around 6-7 for the most part.
It's 75-80 deg. there, while it's still nearly freezing here in IN!
yep 9 months of mowing, sometimes more. i just heard the weather tho, and a stupid cold fronts comin in....its going to freeze friday night, so that ruined my mood! and goin to be high of 40-50 for the next couple days. so st. augustine is going to take a little longer now...danget!

Last edited by TXNSLighting; 02-28-2007 at 10:43 PM.