Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2007, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Member

How to solicit new business in high end residential areas ?

Around the northside of Indy the high end business is there, it's just of matter of being able to solicit it. Most of the mid to high end homes & subdivsions have " No Soliciting" signs posted at entrances. Don't want to start in these areas w/ doorhangers & get into trouble but want the biz !!! Any ideas on how to market??
Old 02-28-2007, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you can get adresses, you could try direct mailers. This will cost more with postage, but it will give you exposure to them without getting in trouble for it. In Missouri, we can't get access to whole streets of addresses for free by going onto the county assesor's web page. This may help you.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Direct mail or find out what local newspaper goes to that area and run an ad in that
Old 02-28-2007, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

soliciting?

What about placing the flyers in the newspaper box instead of going to the door? Is this still illegal? And by just attatching a card or flyer on a door, is that considered "soliciting" or do u have to actually knock? I know many of these people will want the service but then there may be some knuckle heads that may report u to the authoritities. Anyone know what the fine is for soliciting flyers...lol?
Old 02-28-2007, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPHUNTER View Post
If you can get adresses, you could try direct mailers. This will cost more with postage, but it will give you exposure to them without getting in trouble for it. In Missouri, we can't get access to whole streets of addresses for free by going onto the county assesor's web page. This may help you.
I don't know how many you plan on sending, but go drive around and write down all the street addresses. Then go to whitepages.com and and do a reverse person lookup. It will give you the name of the of the people at the residence. Time consuming, but could be worth it in the end.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have talked to my homeowners association about soliciting. They have talked to the "authorities" about it, and apparently you can not stop someone from doing this. I gather that it is not "against the law", but more of courtesy thing that you can't get in trouble for with the law. This information is what I have heard from my homeowner's association, I do not know how accurate it is. So if you get arrested, it is not my fault.

Besides, I would think soliciting is knocking on a door and disturbing someone trying to sell them something. IDK.

Lawn care in Pensacola, Florida.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I currenty have 1 HIGH end client (2mil house). I plan on sending everyone on their block a letter this weekend outlining my services.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green-pa View Post
And by just attatching a card or flyer on a door, is that considered "soliciting"...
Yes it is considered soliciting. I actually called the sheriff's department here thinking I might need a permit to go door to door. They said no permit was necessary.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for suggestions guys. Tyring to tap into large area of high-end homes in my area, feel like if I can get 1 or 2 in a neighborhood things will really take off.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllProLC View Post
Thanks for suggestions guys. Tyring to tap into large area of high-end homes in my area, feel like if I can get 1 or 2 in a neighborhood things will really take off.
Those neighborhoods usually have a non-gated entrance. Either that or you can slip the guard a $20.