Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-01-2007, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here you can hand out door hangers and not get in any trouble. In fact I have done plenty of work in neighborhoods with no solicitation signs and the homeowners told me I should hand out business cards to all the neighbors.

Most just dont want to be bothered with the freak door to door religious sales creeps.

As long as you dont go door to door and do hard selling you should be ok. Leave a flyer and if they are interested they will call.

Last word of advice, million dollar home subdivisions are not even worth it! They will critique you to no end, complain about price, and not appreciate your hard work. Did I mention they complain about price.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would just go in and pass the flyers out...for the most part 'no soliciting' means people don't want you knocking on their door.

My sister lives in such a neighborhood, and she still gets a bajillion flyers despite the place having a gate and guard.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree about the "high end" client. It appears they often times feel a sense of entitlement and don't always appreciate what you are doing. Ignorance, as they quite possibly have never had to do it.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yard Cowboy View Post
I agree about the "high end" client. It appears they often times feel a sense of entitlement and don't always appreciate what you are doing. Ignorance, as they quite possibly have never had to do it.
That's why you can charge them more. A guy like you or me wouldn't pay at all because we couldn't justify the cost and would do it ourselves. But these people aren't about to do anything and are ready to pay.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Member

No doubt they can be an easy sale because you know they aren't going to do it themselves. However, that doesn't always make them easy to deal with. Of course, not all of them are like that but I have dealt with my share in sales that all they do is gripe about price and want more and more from you. It chaps my a** sometimes to see a guy barely scraping by give it over more easily than they guy making over $250K a year. And a lot of times, we jump through their hoops and take their crap in hopes of getting that carrot of more business through their friends and business contacts..
Old 03-01-2007, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yard Cowboy View Post
... all they do is gripe about price and want more and more from you. It chaps my a** sometimes to see a guy barely scraping by give it over more easily than they guy making over $250K a year. And a lot of times, we jump through their hoops and take their crap in hopes of getting that carrot of more business through their friends and business contacts..
It seems that you have a few issues that you need to fix. If you are barely getting by you should either charge more for your services or watch your spending more closely. Secondly, I don't know what kind of crap people are giving you but you don't have to take it, provided you did what you said you would do. Work on these things and your business and you will prosper.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I definately have issues I need to fix. lol However, I was referring to the "customer" barely getting by, not myself (I'm just starting in this business as an owner. I do have experience though). I have worked with customers that brought home less than $50K a year as a household and don't complain as much about price as some do that bring in 5x that. Those are my experiences. As far as crap taken, if I allow it, I guess I shouldn't complain..