Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-16-2001, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Landscape Rock Removal

I am looking at bidding a job that requires removing all the old landscape rock from the rock bed surrounding the house. The fabric that was under the rock has given way to weeds coming up through the rock. The landscape is such that I can not get a Bobcat anywhere close to the house. There is approximately 10 yards of rock amongest the plants that they would like to keep.
Our local rental store has a RockVac that looks exactly what I need for the job. Has anyone used this machine before? It uses vacuum to pick up the rocks. It is suppose to fill a wheel barrow full in less than a minute! I have been to there web site, www.rockvac.com Can anyone tell me more about this machine? How is it going to affect the bid? Sounds like it will make my job a lot easier!

Thanks for any help,
Old 07-16-2001, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive never seen that before but looks damn cool. Looks like it could shave alot of time off of your labor. I have been putting off a big rock removal job for some time now =), this may be my answer!
Old 07-17-2001, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Member

RockVac

I bet the thing is expensive, but imagine what it would be like not to have a sore back! Or having all your help show up the next day ready to get back at it! I contacted another Landscaper that has a RockVac, (he actually has three) he said that his guys refuse to ever shovel rock again. He is a relatively small outfit by the sound of it, but he can under bid his competition on any rock removal job that has to be done by hand. I am going to send for the video and more information, who knows, maybe we should get one ourselves. Afterall, nobody likes to even bid those jobs that involve removing rock because you just might get them!

Mike
Old 07-17-2001, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We (not myself) had to remove 5 yards of 1 1/4 inch rock today by hand because we couldn't fit the bobcat into those areas. I guess I am glad that I didn't have to do it, but my work was not thrilled to be doing it, but the job will pay well for me. That machine looks like something I might get, I had never heard of it prior to this. We have alot of jobs in which it it just impossible to get one of our skid loaders into, so this looks like a good idea. I'm going to have to look into it more. Thanks for finding that site and info.
Old 07-18-2001, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Tried one.

I've actually used one!

The thing worked great. I was putting off removing the rock around our house and business for some time. I tried the rake and shovel method before and gave up... as I'm quite lazy when it comes to this type of work. This little machine has some power. I don't know exactly how much rock I removed but I replaced it all with 8 yards of mulch.... It took me about 3 hours by myself. I don't know why any landscape company that does this type of work wouldn't have one.

Dan.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Member

RockVac

I've got 60 dump truck loads of rocks mixed with some dirt in my back yard. Does anyone know if RockVac also separates the dirt from the rock?
Old 08-25-2008, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That thing looks cool! Does anyone have any idea what it costs?
Old 08-27-2008, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweston View Post
I've got 60 dump truck loads of rocks mixed with some dirt in my back yard. Does anyone know if RockVac also separates the dirt from the rock?
Get some heavy duty screen and sift it, maybe? My guess is it would grab the loose dirt, and, during the process, make it fairly easy to dump through some kind of screening to separate it, but I wouldn't think it would do it for you. Just a guess though - this is the first I've heard of the machine.

It's funny, though, when I read the initial post it sounded like a job I recently bid on. Having a RockVac would have made it much more affordable.

Green Man Enviroscaping LLC
www.greenmanenvy.com

Landscaping design, installation, and maintenance
~ emphasizing native plantings, natural solutions, and organic materials
~ specializing in woodlands & meadows
~ implementing edible forests & permaculture
Old 08-31-2008, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We rented one several years ago, unless they have improved a lot, a shovel and wheelbarrow was much faster
Old 08-31-2008, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

wouldn't a mini skid with bucket (like a Dingo) be able to scrap most of it up in the right situations?