Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-16-2001, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Low Cost Fert "Franchise"?

Would anyone here be interested in such a thing? Read the thread about putting Chemlawn out of bizz, where i first suggested it. If there is enough interest, I would consider organizing such a business. I am talking maybe $10-20/month, for joining the alliance, where we can negotiate discounts on everything from ferts to spreaders, who knows, maybe even mowers. You will be able to advertise that you are part of the alliance, and in the future, national advertising would be possible. Respond if anyone is interested, otherwise I will just forget the idea.

Michael
Old 07-16-2001, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Yea, while your at it... send me $10 or $20 a month :blob3: LOL

Power is in number people... 4,000+ members. Those numbers are pretty impressive and getting better every day.
Old 07-16-2001, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, the numbers impress me, but the number responding to my post doesnt! 10-20 bucks a month to save twice that in discounts,,, seems mindless to me. Chuck, you help me organize this, and you are in!
Old 07-16-2001, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

hey i already have that in the works

and NO FEE'S

LGF
Old 07-17-2001, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

LGF- how do you mean you have it in the works, and what will you be able to do without money?
Old 07-17-2001, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

revise

Okay, maybe i am not being clear enough to generate any interest. While i like LGF's idea of free, i think it would be a hundred times more productive to charge a nominal fee. National advertising is key. Getting the word out so people recognize it when you say that you are a member of "_______'s alliance of lawn care professionals", or whatever (I havent come up with a good name yet). YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO CHANGE THE NAME OF YOUR BUSINESS EITHER. I just realized maybe people thought that. It will be almost like an addition to your name. i.e. "Johns lawn care, member _____ alliance, so and so."

IF CHEM LAWN IS GETTING INTO MOWING IN SOME AREAS, ITS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME PEOPLE! DONT LET THEM DESTROY YOUR BUSINESS BY JUST SITTING AND WORRYING ABOUT IT! DO SOMETHING. obviously we cant put them out of business, but thats not what i am after, i am just out for a piece of their market share, and to prevent them from taking the piece i already have.
Old 07-17-2001, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Allow me to quote Homer.
"The time and energy your going to spend trying to put a company that size out of business is wasted time and energy. Take the same amount and turn it in on your business and see how you can improve it. If you can target their accounts and provide the service then go for it, putting them out of business is really stretching things a bit..................putting a dent in their business is still stretching it. Just concentrate on you and yours and be the best that you can be at what you do."
Old 07-17-2001, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Allow me to quote myself.
"obviously we cant put them out of business, but thats not what i am after"
Old 07-17-2001, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you missed the point. I, for one, am not the least bit concerned about Chemlawn. I doubt that many of the folks on here are sitting around, wringing their hands over Chemlawn. The point was this:
If you'll take that energy that you're planning on devoting to this and just put it into your business, you'll be much better off. Good luck.
Old 07-17-2001, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

CSRA- I know what you mean, but personally think that if there was any interest in such a "franchise", that it would be well worth spending a little extra time on. At the moment I am not full time into landscaping, and dont want to be either. I have enough customers to keep me happy at the moment, until I graduate college (2 more years). I didnt mean to say that everyone was panicking (spelling) about chem lawn, just that there was a lot of response to the thread about chem lawn, and most negative. There seemed to be some people worried about Chem lawn, so I figured maybe we could do somethign about it. While there still doesnt seem to be any interest in my idea, I think I might draw up a website to show how it would work, then see if I myself am still interested.
It would be time consuming to say the least, but at the moment I have the time and energy to spend on such an idea.
I am the kind of person that would go through such a gigantic pain in the a$$ type thing to reap the benefits. I am the kind of person that would challenge a huge chain, and give them a run for their money. Basically, I dont think there is ever something that is "not worth trying".