Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-19-2001, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

"Franchises are for dumb start-ups" Chem lawn is dumb? Mcdonalds is dumb? BK is dumb? Subway is dumb? Applebees, Chilies, Wendy's? Staples is dumb? WOW. These are all billion dollar companies, how much did you gross last year?
Old 07-19-2001, 04:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

hey I didn't start this thread but I am starting to agree with your opinions that is what this site is all about getting others opinions and input

although I have been working on a spray/fert ony company for over 4 years now

the only reason it hasn't started yet is time, money, and labor
I have my own mess to deal with in the lawn mowing and landscaping part

also Randy Scott brought up some realy good opinions about this

and yes I do concintrate on my own biz and make very good money doing this, nor am I part time, I work year round, and around the clock

yes I hate Chemlawn or should we say water lawn
Randy you said that in another state some one burn out a lawn and the word might travel to another state, your going to get that kind of publicity with any thing you would do

I'm sorry it's still a good idea but it probaly wont happen but I do have the conection in order to do it

if I could get the right people to work I wouldn't be looking in to other things to do I would be extremely busy running my LCO
but as things happen every year I have to get out and mow instead of going out and get more sale

I have turned away work you guys would dream of having $500,000 to million dollar a year contracts but I have to turn them down because I don't want to dissapoint the customers that got me where I am today
Old 07-19-2001, 07:22 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Quote:
Originally posted by roscioli
"Franchises are for dumb start-ups" Chem lawn is dumb? Mcdonalds is dumb? BK is dumb? Subway is dumb? Applebees, Chilies, Wendy's? Staples is dumb? WOW. These are all billion dollar companies, how much did you gross last year?
Judging from your naive comments about 100% more than you did.
Old 07-19-2001, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

sorry to take it to a personal level

Hey genious, 100% more would only be twice what i grossed.. Hmm... You are one sad company grossing twice that of a part timer, the year he started! Man, you must have pulled in like, wow... let me work the numbers here...... 5 grand!
Old 07-19-2001, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Member

qoute lawnboy
"I have experience with franchises and I can tell you that they are much more profitable than owning your private company. Of coarse exceptions do happen!!"
Flipping burgers at the local burger king doesn't count! how does flipping burgers qualify you as a franchise expert?

"CHUCK" It is no secret that you want more $ for the time you spend on this site. This is an idea to ponder that might just make you the money that you are after........
you have formed a community of 4,000 minus all of the flunkies, my guess is you have around 1000 active members, so why don't you form an association for the members of your site and start the ball rolling towards $.
No 1000 members isn't going to get you any national add campaign for the public to see, however, with a little research and a crafty sales pitch you could target other "independant" lco"s and make the money you desire! I have some internet marketing knowledge and know that you arn't going to be wealthy from this forum alone!

If you wish to discuss ideas I have contact me via email "this is a friend to fried communication, and there will be no charge for the consultation!"
Old 07-19-2001, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey jjehr, nice comment, real professional. It's nice to see that when you are trying to comment on something and give some valuabe advise that we can always count on comments from people like you. For your info, I own a Blimpie Subs and Salads franchise and a Smoothie Island Franchise.
Old 07-19-2001, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It not how much you make

it is how much you enjoy doing it

If I could make the living I have now and flip burgers I would
but lets not get to personal

LGF:blob3:
Old 07-19-2001, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I partially think that's a problem with self-employed guys, we always feel the need to have the upper hand and so often seem willing to downplay other folks. If this thread could be kept to topic, it may actually prove interesting.

One thing that you would have to have with something like this, in my estimation (I don't have much franchise experience and right now I'm working for pennies compared to you guys, so take this for what it's worth) is a system of checks and balances. Requirements that must be met, or the franchise, as it were, would be revoked. That way you could keep from having the tarnished image from someone else's bungled approach. if they don't care, remove them.
Old 07-19-2001, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My 2¢

Why a franchise? I'd rather see an ACTIVE and "recognized by the general public" organization, Why not a co-op or a non prof. With a non profit no single person can own it and take in all the money, but rather it is recycled into resources that are best attained from bulk cash. I'm sure Chuck has enough to do already with his sites than to organize an organization or franchise. But to say even he had a sponsorship and some say with it, he would be able to have some small "fringe benefits" as would several others.

Yesterday I was searching google for names for company that I could trademark, as to see if someone already had it. Found a site that "Franchise oppertunites" listing 1000's of companies from all trades. There were about 20 for the lawnbusiness just listed on that site! So evidently it's been tried many before.

In the end a franchise or similar structured business entity would only grow to be as large as ChemLawn and have just as a poor reputation among the indepent Lawn companies as ChemLawn does have with us now.
Old 07-19-2001, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

hey lawnboy,
see you at the next Blimpie convention, I own a blimpie store on Milwaukee St, in Madison Wisconsin. I have decided to call your bluff, What is the street address of the store you think you own? Man you have a full plate as a teenager! By the way with all of the things that you like to pretend that you have going on, what bank gave you the money to start a blimpie? (clue there is only one answer) Oh one more thing, Do you know Jeff Johnstone? You would if you owned a Blimpie franchise! If you spent your time being half as productive as you pretend to be, you would have no time for this board and not have to pretend!!!!! Instead of infesting this board, maybe you should pick up more hours at the local Burger King. Be careful of the advancement to fry manager, you could burn your fingers and not be able to spend your free time here. My guess on you is that you live in a small town and have burned your friendships by lying to them to much and are now searching the internet for "friends" to lie to and try to impress with your world of make believe. Go find some other peoples time to waste!
Later burger boy, oops I mean lawn boy , or is it blimpe boy