Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2007, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeandia View Post
Huh? What are you talking about?
"This is a "starting a landscape business" thread which has nothing to do with business." That makes absolutely no sense. Read over your thought one more time and let me know if I am missing your point.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnboy85 View Post
"This is a "starting a landscape business" thread which has nothing to do with business." That makes absolutely no sense. Read over your thought one more time and let me know if I am missing your point.
Lawnboy, My question was directed to Patriot who originally said "This is a "starting a landscape business" thread which has nothing to do with business." So, I was asking for him to clarify himself. You seem to agree with me that the statement is confusing.

However, your question seems to be directed to Patriot but you are quoting me. What's up with that?
Old 03-02-2007, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Once again, I'm too impatient to read other threads about this subject. I live in Texas, where the grass is still dormant in most yards, but there is some greenery coming up. I have one customer who has a very small yard which consists mainly of thick bermuda grass. However, there are some green weeds popping up in spots. Should I use a pre- or post- emergent fertilizer? I'm looking at using something very simple, such as your basic 'weed-and-feed.' Also, should I mow the yard first, then apply fertilizer, or apply fertilizer, then mow a week later? If anyone can help on this matter, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Lohse's Lawn Service
I'm also a "little guy". The only answer that you really need is that is you are not licensed for herbacide/pesticide, you shouldn't be putting anything down but straight fert/ seed.

I'm not licensed, and don't apply anything other than above. I will admit to occassionally spraying Round-up, but very limited. It's still wrong, so I guess I'd be a little hypocritical if I got on you. Just trying to point out the fact though.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Member

You are not wrong for spraying a little roundup. Then we are all guilty of a little speeding. You are guilty when you charge for it on a regular basis.

I have a lady I charge $10 less to if she lets me roundup the fence line. Saves me 20min a week if I kill it. She backs up to an open field and has a lot of chain link fence.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

GO HERE!. it's a link from the pa dept of agriculture but there are links to study material for various cert programs provided by Penn State University (which is one of the most renound schools in the country for turf management and landscape architecture). You should be able to find everything you need to know here but if you go half assin somethin lke that and burn up your customer's yard - you could get yourself into a lot more trouble than just with the state. Your customers could sue your butt off so I would at least read up on the subject very thoroughly before you spray anything
Old 03-02-2007, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

oops here's the link http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/a...p?a=3&q=128271
Old 03-02-2007, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeandia View Post
Huh? What are you talking about?
The forum is "Starting a lawn care & landscape business" not how do I apply fertilizer.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotLandscape View Post
The forum is "Starting a lawn care & landscape business" not how do I apply fertilizer.
Oh, why didn't you say that in the first place instead of that incoherent gibberish you posted?

So, we all understand you correctly regarding the proper use of this forum, there should be no questions about fertilizer, mowers, trimmers, trucks, trailers, signs, brochures, logos, websites, mowing techniques, equipment maintenance, peoples ages, office supplies, software, fuel, the weather, or any other subject which you deem inappropriate?
Old 03-02-2007, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Once again, I'm too impatient to read other threads about this subject. I live in Texas, where the grass is still dormant in most yards, but there is some greenery coming up. I have one customer who has a very small yard which consists mainly of thick bermuda grass. However, there are some green weeds popping up in spots. Should I use a pre- or post- emergent fertilizer? I'm looking at using something very simple, such as your basic 'weed-and-feed.' Also, should I mow the yard first, then apply fertilizer, or apply fertilizer, then mow a week later? If anyone can help on this matter, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Lohse's Lawn Service

APPLY A PRE-EMERGENT FERTILIZER. SPRAY THE LAWN WITH ROUND-UP, THIS CAN BE DONE ANYTIME WHILE THE LAWN IS DORMNANT. THE GRASS WILL NOT ABSORB THE ROUND UP BUT THE WEEDS WILL. PLUS ROUND-UP IS GONE IN 5-7 DAYS. NOW THAT THE LAWN HAS A PRE-EMERGENT DOWN AND WEEDS ARE SPRAYED MARK ON THE CALANDER TO COME BACK IN 8 WEEKS TO APPLY ANOTHER PRE-EMERGENT FERTILIZER. HOWEVER IF YOU ARE NOT PERMIT, I WOULDNT DO IT, JUST SUB IT OUT.

GOOD LUCK
Old 03-02-2007, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I got a question wal mart sells your fertilizer pesticides and round up to the public for anyone to get to apply to their turf when 99% of the people who buy it are probably not liscensed is this illegal?