Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2007, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Varies state to state
Old 03-02-2007, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk View Post
I got a question wal mart sells your fertilizer pesticides and round up to the public for anyone to get to apply to their turf when 99% of the people who buy it are probably not liscensed is this illegal?
No, the law makes exceptions for homeowners working on their own home.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk View Post
I got a question wal mart sells your fertilizer pesticides and round up to the public for anyone to get to apply to their turf when 99% of the people who buy it are probably not liscensed is this illegal?
A HOMEOWENER CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT TO THEIR OWN LAWN. HOWEVER THEY CAN'T NOR CAN YOU GO TO SOMEBODY ELES LAWN AND PUT DOWN AN APPLICATION WITHOUT A PERMIT
Old 03-02-2007, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok I have always wondered about that Thanks for the info
Old 03-02-2007, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeandia View Post
Lawnboy, My question was directed to Patriot who originally said "This is a "starting a landscape business" thread which has nothing to do with business." So, I was asking for him to clarify himself. You seem to agree with me that the statement is confusing.

However, your question seems to be directed to Patriot but you are quoting me. What's up with that?
I'm sorry for that mess-up. I start reading these things and it seems like the only reason (sometimes myself) people get on here is to sound more professional than the last person. I read the original quote and I immediately wanted to jump on the wagon as far as questioning his quote. I'm glad we are on the same page for Patriot sounding a bit confusing. Once again, sorry for the mix-up!
Old 03-02-2007, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

A license is not required to buy pesticides at the local dept stores like walmart, lowes, home depot. They are not considered commercial grade products and are a much lower concentration. What stinks is they still cost as much if not more than the commercial or professional products. Thats why the homeowner can sometimes spend more money to do lawn applications themselves.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you dont have to be lisenced in every state to apply herbicide. in oregon you can apply it to your regular customers lawns, you just cant advertise it as a service. true story. ive looked into it many times.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesargent View Post
in oregon you can apply it to your regular customers lawns, you just cant advertise it as a service. true story. ive looked into it many times.
Hey Sarge, you a wrong. This is from the Oregon Dept of Agriculture Pesticides Division:
The Commercial Pesticide Applicator License is required of individuals who apply or supervise the application of pesticides on the land or property of others while employed by a Commercial Pesticide Operator.
It took me all of 10 seconds to find. You really need to get your fact straight.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The government want a cut of our earnings in the lawncare business. Gotta love it.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnboy85 View Post
You are exactly right. The big guys like to shut all the little guys down. I have 46 yards and one cemetery, with only about 10-12 of my customers being weekly jobs. I'm still very young and have lots of experience to gain. I am working my way up the professional ladder.
then you will want to do everything legal and right. you need to be licensed so you don't ruin someone lawn or worse, cause damage to other properties which will leave you open to fines and litigation. has nothing to do with big guys verses little guys. you ask a question and if you get an answer you don't want to hear, well, too bad.

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.