Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2007, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyD View Post
all im going to say is...... if you can buy whatever it is your gonna use from the store without showing a license..... but it requires a license to apply or whatever...... do it anyways.... ive never heard of having to have a license around here.... and if you havent either.... its not your fault that they dont make it known..... i dunno bout you... but i could get away with that fine easily

Yeah...

What Joe said

Originally posted by SLR:
Quote:
you really got off fortunate and lucky 5-0boy1!..imagine if you an her created a little 5boy1,now there's a nicely entangled chaotic toranado vise!
THE VERY BEST SOURCE OF INFO FOR THE GREEN INDUSTRY! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
Old 03-04-2007, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You will damage/destroy a lawn by spray round up on it at any time regardless of if it is dormant.

Don't apply anything without reading the label.[/QUOTE]

First of all this statement is flat wrong.
Gylosphate was originally marketed as a growth regulator and can easily be sprayed even to actively growing turf sites, regardless if these sites are C3 or C4 turfgrass as a growth regulator. Additionally, to kill Bermudagrass regardless of it's variety requires multiple applications of glyosphate and even then it will reemerge - this turf is almost impossible to eradicate with just about any type of herbicide.
Secondly, the application of fertilizers to dormant turf is highly encouraged to maintain microbial populations at a higher percentage and will not harm C3 or C4 turfgrass provided the correct compounds are used.
Thirdly, Lawnboy, you need a license from either the Texas Department of Agriculture, Category 3A or the Structural Pest Control Board to apply even over the counter herbicides regardless of who purchased, transported it or even if you are doing a "freebie" provided the property applied isn't yours.

I am not saying the license requirement is designed to separate larger lco's from start-ups, it isn't that at all. However the state of Texas takes a very dim view of unlicensed applicators especially in areas adjacent to aquifers that don't know what they are doing.

Lawnboy the best thing you could ever do is contact your county's agricultural extension agent as these questions you have and many others are answered free of charge to anyone regardless if they are license holders or not.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyD View Post
all im going to say is...... if you can buy whatever it is your gonna use from the store without showing a license..... but it requires a license to apply or whatever...... do it anyways.... ive never heard of having to have a license around here.... and if you havent either.... its not your fault that they dont make it known..... i dunno bout you... but i could get away with that fine easily
gee ociffer. i didn't know it was illegal to drive after drinking a 12 pack in 2 hours. i should get away with it because i didn't know. i'm not ambitious enough to research a bit.
to be fair, the kid did try to do a little research, even though it was here and not with the dept of agriculture, and that shows he cares about doing a good job.
i gotta be licensed. the other lco's in this city gotta be licensed. what makes you so special?

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgrassguy View Post

Thirdly, Lawnboy, you need a license from either the Texas Department of Agriculture, Category 3A or the Structural Pest Control Board to apply even over the counter herbicides regardless of who purchased, transported it or even if you are doing a "freebie" provided the property applied isn't yours.
makes a lot more sense than our law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgrassguy View Post
Lawnboy the best thing you could ever do is contact your county's agricultural extension agent as these questions you have and many others are answered free of charge to anyone regardless if they are license holders or not.
you can't go wrong following this advice.

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Member

This is what I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk View Post
I got a question wal mart sells your fertilizer pesticides and round up to the public for anyone to get to apply to their turf when 99% of the people who buy it are probably not liscensed is this illegal?
If you are charging for this service then you need to have a permit if not then it's ok!
Old 03-05-2007, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

...Or even doing it as part of your job description,...Depending on how your state laws are set up. Here in Michigan, they don't go for that "I was doing THIS part for free,...as a FAVOR to my customer."

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

ok guys here is a senerio im in the middle of and i dont want to do it. A new customer who was involved for what he says most of his life with golf corse maintenace. he tells me he has a degree in turf management also. here is where things get wrong, he wants to supply me with the checmicals (round up) to treat areas around his property. First i told him i would not due to i have no license for that then he says since I am at his house and working for him to not worry about it since im considered his employee.
this guy throughs up red flaggs everywhere in my book, he argued with me about the size of rock to use for a french drain and wants me to mow his 2.5 acres every week for 75 bucks and edge every 2 weeks. he is also having me build a french drain system with my tactor business.
from what I have read here its going to be illegal for me to apply chemicals to his property even if he supplies them, ohh and by the way he alos commented that he has nerve damage and is not supose to even be around the chemicals anymore.

im going with my gut, doing the tractor work and thats it. do you guys agree? and since this is my first year in business i am asking as what can i and cant i do as a mow, edge and blow guy.

what all is involved in this turf and ornamental license for oklahoma?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd drop him immediately with his attitude. Screw doing anything for him, period.

He's trying to force you to break the law, not to mention trying to get you to do the mow for virtually nothing. Not a good person to have as a customer.

Originally posted by SLR:
Quote:
you really got off fortunate and lucky 5-0boy1!..imagine if you an her created a little 5boy1,now there's a nicely entangled chaotic toranado vise!
THE VERY BEST SOURCE OF INFO FOR THE GREEN INDUSTRY! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
Old 03-06-2007, 05:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinallthetime View Post
ok guys here is a senerio im in the middle of and i dont want to do it. A new customer who was involved for what he says most of his life with golf corse maintenace. he tells me he has a degree in turf management also. here is where things get wrong, he wants to supply me with the checmicals (round up) to treat areas around his property. First i told him i would not due to i have no license for that then he says since I am at his house and working for him to not worry about it since im considered his employee.
this guy throughs up red flaggs everywhere in my book, he argued with me about the size of rock to use for a french drain and wants me to mow his 2.5 acres every week for 75 bucks and edge every 2 weeks. he is also having me build a french drain system with my tactor business.
from what I have read here its going to be illegal for me to apply chemicals to his property even if he supplies them, ohh and by the way he alos commented that he has nerve damage and is not supose to even be around the chemicals anymore.

im going with my gut, doing the tractor work and thats it. do you guys agree? and since this is my first year in business i am asking as what can i and cant i do as a mow, edge and blow guy.

what all is involved in this turf and ornamental license for oklahoma?
first, i don't know your laws in oklahoma. it's possible that an "employee" can apply but probably only if the "boss" has a pesticide license. i believe there is more to being an "employee" for the purposes of pesticide application than just getting paid by him for the work.
second, run, don't walk from this guy. he may not be doing it purposefully but he is setting you up for a lawsuit. he is a know-it-all but will blame you if and when something goes wrong. i don't know about you but i came into this business to be my own boss. i don't want an "employer".
$75.00 for 2.5 acres every week? sounds a bit low but i haven't seen the property.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Member

i'm getting 50 to mow not even 1/4 acre every week