Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-03-2007, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Encosed Trailer for my Bobcat?

I have been thinking lately about getting an enclosed trailer to carry my Bobcat 453 mini-skid. I have a tilt deck trailer for it now and I like it very much. But the Bobcat is taking up space in my garage because it is too tall to go in loaded on a trailer and I got to thinking. If I put it in an enclosed trailer on the parking pad next to my garage I could get my garage bay back and have a way to transport it to and from jobsites in inclement weather. And I wouldnt have to load/unload before and after every job. You see, it has an open canopy, I have had it happen where I transported it home from a jobsite in a torrential down pour and then because my garage doors are too short I have to unload and park the skidsteer in the garage in the pouring rain. While I have gotten used to this fact somewhat I still find it a rather unpleasant and I figure this would kill two birds with one stone so-to-speak. my loader weighs 2500lbs, is roughly 10ft long with a bucket, and is 71.5 in. tall (not kidding they design them like that on purpose). So my question to you is this: a) does this sound feasable? b) is there a trailer out there that could handle this? and c) if there is which would you recomend, why, and how much would it cost? One thing Im uncertan of is that while this loader is able to clear a 6ft door on flat terrain, entering a 6ft rear door from a ramp on a trailer may be a different story because of the trajectory of the cab roof while climbing the ramp. Does anyone know how steep the approach angle on a ramp door trailer typcally is? Does anyone make a small-ish (under 14ft) ramp door trailer with a rear door higher than 6ft? Also are the ramp doors on most trailers even designed to handle a concentrated load of 2500+lbs.? Or would I be better off buying the cab enclosure kit for the loader? Thanks.
Also:
Stihl MS290 w/20" bar
Stihl BG72 Blower
Stihl BR340 Backpack
Stihl KM55 Multi-tool
Cub Cadet SC621 self prop. 21"cut w/ casters
Briggs & Stratton 6hp 2300 PSI power washer

Excavation guys never really grow up... They just get a bigger sandbox
Old 03-03-2007, 03:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have all your answers but yes there are many trailers that can haul that machine. Any tandem axle car trailer is designed to carry similar or more weight. Your two hangups will be a entry door tall enough and assurance from the salesman that the ramp can hold the weight. A car usually will only have one axle at a time on the ramp so the weight is better distributed. On a small skid all the weight is on the door at once. I use our 20' Wells Cargo to transport a Ditch Witch SK650 which is similar in weight with no problems. I would be concerned about a mid size pickup towing around the wieght of a large enclosed with machine though. I could care less if it has enough power, it will not have great brakes and the heavy trailer may feel like it is "pushing" around the truck. My 2500HD ext cab long box feels pushed around by the 20' but the F450 with a little 9' dump makes you check the rearview every now and then to make sure it is still there.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Call a few trailer dealers........when I purchased mine I could pay extra to have a taller roof. You do get less MPG but this is what you would need. If you're 10' long I'd get a 16' trailer to give you some room inside for other tools.