Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-03-2007, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Tossing ads on driveways..Marketing question

I had 15,000 ads printed up and would like to get them out all this month. I was going to put the ads(3 3/4 x 8 1/2) in a plastic bag and toss them on peoples driveways. This way I could do ALOT with the least amount of time and effort. BUT, I need ideas on what I can place in the bag that would hold some weight to toss it and not have it blow away.
Buying an extra 15,000 pieces of anything is going to get costly fast.
What are some absolute cheap ideas for adding wieght to these bags, aside from rocks??
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2007, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

A roll of quarters.

Lawn care in Pensacola, Florida.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Member

no offense, but i really hate this way of marketing. I know i get these bags of stuff thrown in my drive all the time and i never look at them...kind of like that free newspaper that shows up all the time. it just seems tacky and non-professional. But, on the other hand if it works, more power to ya! if it does work, i may reluctantly try it myself....just kidding. anybody else have this opinion or am i way off base?
Old 03-03-2007, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If I remember right it wasnt popular last time we talked about this. I'll let you read through it. let us know if you going to do it and if you do how it worked for you.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=bag+stone
Old 03-03-2007, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

sorry but I have to agree, but that would make me as happy as having a root canal then I would call the cops because you littered JK, but I have some crazy people near me that would do just that.

most guys around here stuff them behind the flag on the mailbox. I myself put them in plastic door hanger bags and .... hang them on the door knob (which most new houses don't seem to have anymore )

www.greenmountainlandscape.com
Old 03-03-2007, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Member

if you make postcards, is it illegal to just put it in a mailbox or do you have to send it through the mail?
Old 03-03-2007, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The neighbors' shrubs seem to hold them well. I found LOTS and LOTS of flyers in shrubs while I was trimming in July.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I have tried direct mailing, paper ads, and flyers. Flyers have worked the best.Out of 500 direct mails 0000! That cost me. 5000 flyers got me about 30.I agree it is a little tacky and not my favorite way to advertise, but it has done for me what I needed it to do, to establish a customer base large enough to rely on referalls and an ad in the weekly paper.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is one of the ideas in Sean Adams business package. I just couldn't imagine the expressions on peoples faces if they seen you throwing stuff on their drive way.

Use a rock if you're cheap. Sean suggested a gift (if I remember right) like a pack of seeds but that's expensive. More expensive then doing what I normally do which is hire day labourers and drive them around handing them flyers, telling them where to go.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I did have a couple people that saw me throw a flyer in there drive, they looked at me and kinda shook there heads. Made me feel like some kind of creep! Oh well, throwing them served there purpose and I don't have to advertise like that anymore.. thank god.