Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2013, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Starting a company help

Hey guys, new here to this forum Looking for a little guidance. I'm young and enjoy working from sun up to sun down and finally have all my own equipment I need to start my own thing on the side. The hardworking is not a problem for me, but I don't know where to start on the bussiness side. I have just a few clients now and I think it would be best to legitimize my own bussiness ASAP. My biggest concern is with liability, mainly sprinkler systems. As in should I purchase some kind of insurance first before a LLC or should I Have clients sign a waiver not making me responsible for any damage? If I have insurance would I need such a waiver? Personally I wouldn't want to sign a waiver like that to have my yard mowed. Please let me hear your opinion. Thanks alot
Old 03-26-2013, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ultimately it's in your best interest to have all the proper licensing and insurance before your equipment touches another person's property. Say you get hired as a driver/delivery guy for a company. You gotta have a driver's license before they allow you behind the wheel of their company vehicle(s).
Old 03-26-2013, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I'm aiming for all licensing and insurance but unfortunately they all cost money and I can only do one at a time. My clients now are friends and family and understand I'm just starting out. So the first thing I want is to be sure that I can cover any damage that I could cause. (expecting worse case scenario, obviously hoping for nothing).
Old 03-26-2013, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Considering Our Insainly High Coverage insurances costs us about 1% of our sales.......

Get It.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sprinklers? They're the least of my concerns...easily fixed and they're not gonna sue you. Personal injury is a way bigger concern for me. If you can't afford to be insured you can't afford to pay for any personal injuries or property damage you might cause...get insured!
Old 03-26-2013, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

would you sign a no damage waiver for someone to come on your property and do work. think about it.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Liability insurance is cheap.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-26-2013, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok so my next question would be do I need to purchase some kind of bussiness license before a can buy liability insurance? Or can I buy liability before anything else?
Old 03-26-2013, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think you can just buy it. They want your business. I don't think the insurance company itself needs or even cares about the license. However, this questions is best for your insurance agent.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You may have to shop around a bit for insurance. A lot of insurance companies want a minimum of 3 years of claims history before they will insure you and many want you to have experience in the business as well. I was able to convince my insurance company that my experience in another field was applicable experience. I'd suggest contacting an independent agent who can shop around with different underwriters for you. I was with National Grange Mutual at first and am with Peerless now.

P.S. - If you're using your personal vehicle you will want to at least add a rider to that policy for business use. Otherwise if you have a claim while you're working it will likely be denied.