Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2007, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

is it better to put flyers on the front doors instead of a newspaper box?
Old 03-04-2007, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I know that it costs more, but hasn't anyone ever heard of stamps? Most of us have little to do all winter anyways. So i like to find 40- or 50 high end properties that I really want and target them with a professional mailing. If I get just one of these properties a year it pays for cost.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Grass Seed

I'll let all of you in on what my wife and I did last year and landed 12 new accounts. We put full size fliers in bags we got from a "online" shipper, put grass seed in the bottom of the bag and walked them to the front door of about 300 homes. Total cost was around $75.00 we made a total of $14400.00 for that one 6 hour day in early March last year.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What was the grass seed for, just a little "subliminal" message carrier? How much did you put in?

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyD View Post
is it better to put flyers on the front doors instead of a newspaper box?
At my old job with another LCO we had several companies that put out flyers and we really tracked the response rates...the guy that went door to door got us a much better response rate. Of course he was 4 times as expensive as the 'driveway' guys. Door to door eats up a lot more of your time.

The weather plays a big role as well...nice warm sunny days will get you a better response than cold/windy/wet days.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Member

thats fine hoolie.... thanks .... i dont have any work right now so i have the time to pass them out.... did yall use door hangers? or just stick flyers in the crack of the door... or the door handle?
Old 03-05-2007, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Member

or do you meen door to door as in knocking and asking them if they want some work done?
Old 03-05-2007, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
What was the grass seed for, just a little "subliminal" message carrier? How much did you put in?
My wife came up with it, no reason other then we thought it worked well when we placed them on the doors they never got blowen off. We put about 1 cup full in each bag.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The door to door company would roll the flyer up and stick it between the doorknob and frame typically...the other companies had our flyer in a group with other companies and would chuck it 'newspaper style' as I called it, onto the driveways. I don't think we got any complaints of littering on the driveways...really though we got complaints because the door to door company those guys would cut thru the lawns to save time which produced some complaints.

We did also do some doorhangers ourselves whenever things got slow...those hangers work well, less messy looking. We got a good response from them.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOLIE View Post
really though we got complaints because the door to door company those guys would cut thru the lawns to save time which produced some complaints.

We did also do some doorhangers ourselves whenever things got slow...those hangers work well, less messy looking. We got a good response from them.
Isn't it funny how the mail man can blast through the lawns but it the average joe touches a blade of grass they compain