Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-04-2007, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Full time or not?

I have worked for a lco in the past for about two years, I did not get started until last july doing it part time. The people in my town and surronding areas just want good service and I gave it to them. 3/4 of them didnt even know what edging the walks and driveways looked like. I ended the year with 18 weekly clients by accident, and am now going in to the year with 23 and with no advertising. I am sure I could clean up the local market this year with some advertising. I make 40,000 a year at my job and am thinking about going fulltime with this, the wife is worried about the bills in the off season but I told her I could go back to my job in the winter now she has me concerned. I have the proper equipment,toro-ztr,edgers,echo blowers,16 foot trailer trimmer traps, echo trimmers and am buying a new 60in badboy tommorow. I do have ins and am lic. Please some helpful advice!
Old 03-05-2007, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This line of work has a lot of benefits but you have to be smart with your $$$ b/c bills keep coming in the down time. Your up north so I would suggest plowing in the winter. Work both jobs until you are just too overwhelmed.If you can grab about 75-100 yards then you'd be set. I have no regrets after quiting my retail job making only $25K a year (sadly thats really good money for my area where most are $15k-18). There's less stress and for me I get to do something I enjoy and use some really cool equip.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Id wait until you got some more customers before you quit your job... and just make sure you have something to do to bring in money over the winter. whether it be plowing or going back to your f/t job. the only bad thing with plowing is if you have a winter like we did and you dont have any storms.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hold off for another year if you can. I quit my job and jumped in thankfully I was able to work at my old job under contract. I finally went back and now running my lco part-time. I did that with only 23 accts thinking I would double that year boy I was wrong. I wish I would have found lawnsite first. I would gain as many accts that I could do while working my job then decide the next year if it is feasible to quit.