Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2007, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

So Long Corporate America !

I worked for over 20 years with Lever Brothers/Unilever in New York & New Jersey. The last ten years were constant reorganizing, downsizing and relocating. The work atmosphere became terrible in addition to a 100 mile a day commute (round trip ) to North Jersey. My corporate office fell victim to being relocated to Trumbull CT in 2004. As a lifelong resident of the Jersey Shore, not wanting to leave all my friends and family I took a 20 year severance package out. I started Bayside Lawn Care in 2005 and have 40 customers. I love working alone but dont know how many more I can handle without a helpler.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Congratulations, I havent made it out of corporate hell just yet but I know all too well just how bad it gets. Im not the politics sorta person but somehow I moved up the ladder. Now I want OUT! so I started a Lawn / Landscape business. 1st year and only grossed 4k so far but Im paying everything off this summer so Ill be debt free to leave next spring. Oh yeah, currently a work team coordinator for Kraft foods
Old 03-16-2007, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike007 View Post
Congratulations, I havent made it out of corporate hell just yet but I know all too well just how bad it gets. Im not the politics sorta person but somehow I moved up the ladder. Now I want OUT! so I started a Lawn / Landscape business. 1st year and only grossed 4k so far but Im paying everything off this summer so Ill be debt free to leave next spring. Oh yeah, currently a work team coordinator for Kraft foods
Good luck to you ! It's so great to not answer to anyone - and not sitting in a conference room for "Team Building " exercises, wasting time all year doing personal development reviews, brainstorming sessions and all that other corporate Bullsh#@. Hope you can soon leave the rats nest yourself !
Old 03-16-2007, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Team building excercises, HAA! that one cracks me up. I have yet to really see a "team" up there. Its all about number one and who can I screw on the way up the ladder. My downfall is also what has kept my job so long, refusal to play politics. How well are you doing on your own. To be honest it scares the *&%@ outta me to think Ive gotta go find the work or just not get paid. I know I can do it because I have been on the side but when I think of the security loss it is kinda scary.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike007 View Post
Team building excercises, HAA! that one cracks me up. I have yet to really see a "team" up there. Its all about number one and who can I screw on the way up the ladder. My downfall is also what has kept my job so long, refusal to play politics. How well are you doing on your own. To be honest it scares the *&%@ outta me to think Ive gotta go find the work or just not get paid. I know I can do it because I have been on the side but when I think of the security loss it is kinda scary.
My business has grown the first two years and hopefully will continue this year. Im not at the point where it covers my bills for 12 months but not too
far away. I have some side things I do for extra income. (real estate) If I was in a different situation ( married, kids, mortgage etc) I would have had to relocate and keep my old job. There were doubts at times when I started but I have a pretty good feeling things are growing in the right direction - will not give up!
Old 03-16-2007, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

PhillyShells, I know what your talking about. I worked 22 years for a major oil company that was bought by another major oil company and within two years severance packages were being handed out, and I got one. At first I was upset with the whole situation, then I realized how lucky I was. No more corporate BS. I received my severance, started drawing my full retirement, and did nothing for the first year. I've always had nice landscape at my home, but that year I had great landscape as I had all the time in the world to devote to it. People kept walking by and saying I wish my yard looked like that, then the idea hit. Everytime someone would walk by and say that, I said I would be glad to help. One thing led to another and bam, I have 25 homes in my area that I look after. I would like to get that up to 35 homes and that's it. I don't want to get to big because then that would be a job. Between my pension and what this makes me I do okay. Another year and I will be adding social security to that. Life is good.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Sick of workin' for the man

I totally agree with all the comments here. I too was like the donut guy... "time to make the donuts". I am slowly transitioning to becoming my own boss. I can't take the 15 hour/wk commutes (3hr/day) any longer. I am new to the turf game, but would much rather place my fate in my hands than the head cog turners of Corporate America. Wish me luck and pass the brew!

Mowtown
Old 03-19-2007, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass2cash View Post
I totally agree with all the comments here. I too was like the donut guy... "time to make the donuts". I am slowly transitioning to becoming my own boss. I can't take the 15 hour/wk commutes (3hr/day) any longer. I am new to the turf game, but would much rather place my fate in my hands than the head cog turners of Corporate America. Wish me luck and pass the brew!

Mowtown
Grass2cash,

I'll drink to that ! Good luck and Go for it !
Old 03-22-2007, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Police work is political. My business is in its second year, cant quite give up the cop job yet. I grossed 50k last year by my self, and am half way there to date this year. Things are great, but already feeling the growing pains. This is my return to lawn/lanscape from 5 years ago where I had 6 years in the field and 2 years with Lesco and Finn. Even though I put in 80 hours / week between the two, the being your own boss is like relaxation for me. That pesky pine tree will not run from me, pull a gun, and etc.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:55 AM
LawnSite Member

I have enough bosses at home (wife and 3 daughters), I cant wait until I feel secure enough to leave my 1st job.