Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-05-2007, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Any thoughts on my start out equipment and trailer recommendations

Hello all,
I will be starting my business this April and have decided to purchase a Hustler Mini-Z 52", a Quick 36 Super-duty, a Stihl FS-90 trimmer and a Stihl BR-380 blower. How does this sound? I have a 10k budget and this is the outfit I've decided on unless you guys tell me of any obvious mistakes. Also, any advice on inexpensive trailers will really be helpful. I'm in the metro Atlanta area and can't start 'til April because that's when my finances come into line. Thanks!
Old 03-05-2007, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

take a nice chunk of that money and put it to advertising. because without customers, all that equipment is pointless.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree about the advertising and have a separate budget for it. The 10k is strictly equipment monies. -Thx!
Old 03-05-2007, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

how much is the mini-z?
Old 03-05-2007, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you've thought this out somewhat ... a 36" WB for the smaller areas and gated yards ... a Z that's not too big, but big enough to tackle most any residential or small commercial property, blower and trimmer.

As for a trailer, I would look for a good used 16' or so, tandem axle. You can get by with a smaller one, but you're probably gonna grow and the extra room now would be nice. You'll probably add a 21" in there somewhere, various small hand tools, gas cans, trash barrel maybe, etc. Try not to go with something too small that you will outgrow this season.

Be positive, aggressive, and treat your customers well. Image means a lot in this business, as that is part of what we are providing our customers. Sure, you'll have some who all they want is the dang grass cut, but you'll have many who will appreciate your efforts to make their lawn look nice. Many people want their lawn to look better then the neighbors, and they look to you to do that for them.

Good Luck ... and keep reading here on Lawnsite ... there are many great people here!

Dave

Proud Supporter of:
Hustler mowers ~ Xtreme racks ~ STHIL products
Old 03-05-2007, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige-Lawncare View Post
Sounds like you've thought this out somewhat ... a 36" WB for the smaller areas and gated yards ... a Z that's not too big, but big enough to tackle most any residential or small commercial property, blower and trimmer.

As for a trailer, I would look for a good used 16' or so, tandem axle. You can get by with a smaller one, but you're probably gonna grow and the extra room now would be nice. You'll probably add a 21" in there somewhere, various small hand tools, gas cans, trash barrel maybe, etc. Try not to go with something too small that you will outgrow this season.

Be positive, aggressive, and treat your customers well. Image means a lot in this business, as that is part of what we are providing our customers. Sure, you'll have some who all they want is the dang grass cut, but you'll have many who will appreciate your efforts to make their lawn look nice. Many people want their lawn to look better then the neighbors, and they look to you to do that for them.

Good Luck ... and keep reading here on Lawnsite ... there are many great people here!

Dave
couldnt have been said better. the trailer thing is a definite! i bought a 6X14 and its already too small for me. if your interested its still for sale! the only other thing i was thinking is to save money, you can get a w/b instead of a Z.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

The Mini-Z is going for $6,100. It's a 2006 new.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

the only thing i could say is i got a Lesco 52" Hydro for 3600 i think. but if you have the money and are willing to spend it. id say get the Z.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help, guys. Anyone else?
Old 03-05-2007, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would skip the ZTR for now and get yourself a 52" wb as well as the 36 wb. Take the extra money you'll save from not buying a ZTR and put that into advertising. Build your business first and gain clients and then add the ZTR to your list of equipment because as others have said all the machines in the world won't do you any good until you got clients to use them on.