Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-06-2007, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Superchips tuner? Anyone have one?

I'm thinking of getting one for my 05 f350.

Anyone have one?

Did you have good luck with it? Any problems?

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2007, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have the Superchips Flashpaq 1805. In economy mode, I love it. Nothing crazy; but more like what the truck "ought" to run like.

In tow safe mode, I'm sort of "middle of the road". The engine does real well but the transmission just doesn't quite like it. It almost acts like it doesn't know what gear it wants to be in at average speeds.

I've never loaded "extreme" or "race" mode. That's not what I'm looking for.

If you don't have any other mods, I'd get an exhaust first. Lower EGT's are a necessity for towing and especially with a reprogrammer. Then expect to get some gauges as well to monitor those exhaust and trans. temps.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Check out http://www.dp-tuner.com/

DP-Tuner makes a multiple position chip and offers PCM reflashing. I would personally recommend this over superchips for your truck. I will be ordering a 5+ positon chip for my F350 in the spring. Jody at DP-Tuner knows the trucks well and can make the chips specifically around the customers needs.

Im going with something along the lines of stock, no start, hi idle, 40tow, 80tow, 80 economy and some higher/race setting. Check out dieselstop.com tons of people there run the DP chips and love them.

2001 F350 Crew Cab, 6x6, Lariat, 7.3 PSD Dually (power mods, lift, tires)

My F350 DRW Pics

2002 F450 7.3 PSD Landscape Dump
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
2009 Sure-Trac 22' HD Open Trailer
(3) 60" Exmark Lazer Z's
(1) 48" Exmark Hydro Walker
(1) 36" Scag Walker
(1) 16HP Lesco Leaf Vac
(1) 6.5HP EZ Trench Bed Edger
Echo: SRM-261's, PB-755's, SHC-212, SHC-265, HC-160, PPT-260, CS-346...
Old 03-06-2007, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnspecialties View Post
I have the Superchips Flashpaq 1805. In economy mode, I love it. Nothing crazy; but more like what the truck "ought" to run like.

In tow safe mode, I'm sort of "middle of the road". The engine does real well but the transmission just doesn't quite like it. It almost acts like it doesn't know what gear it wants to be in at average speeds.

I've never loaded "extreme" or "race" mode. That's not what I'm looking for.

If you don't have any other mods, I'd get an exhaust first. Lower EGT's are a necessity for towing and especially with a reprogrammer. Then expect to get some gauges as well to monitor those exhaust and trans. temps.
I plan on putting on putting in the chip, an exhaust and gauges all in at once. I found a superchips used for about $100 and figured it was a good chip, id grab it.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It is a good chip but, remember if you need service you have to take it out. Also in extremely cold temps., chips tend to create starting problems. Good Luck
Old 03-06-2007, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnspecialties View Post
It is a good chip but, remember if you need service you have to take it out. Also in extremely cold temps., chips tend to create starting problems. Good Luck
I've got 100k miles on my truck...warranty is all but gone.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i would pass on it... they arent the best out there. the bully dog is one of the best, you will get a solid 50 hp at the rear wheels with it, and thats perfect for towing, and you can go all the way up to 150 horse. i had a superchips in my 7.3 and wasnt that impressed. then slapped the bully dog on and was grinnin for weeks!

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 03-07-2007, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanlawnandlandscape View Post
i would pass on it... they arent the best out there. the bully dog is one of the best, you will get a solid 50 hp at the rear wheels with it, and thats perfect for towing, and you can go all the way up to 150 horse. i had a superchips in my 7.3 and wasnt that impressed. then slapped the bully dog on and was grinnin for weeks!
Yeh, but for $100, I'd give the chip a chance. Heck, if he doesn't like it, he could probably sell it for the same.

Mow King, if you're at 100K, I say go for it with no reservations at all.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey everyone i know some about truck but i have a question. I have alwase been wary of superchips or any other chips for that madder. A close friend of mine had an f 150 4x4 with either superchips or hypertech chip cant remember know it was one of those two. Anyway he had it on medium setting and after about a week on the chip his over drive light started flashing and his tranny started doing weird things. Anyway he found on the internet that f150 when the od light is flashing it means somethings wrong with the tranny he took it in to the shop and they told him it was a bad programer and ended up costing him over 800 bucks because they had to pull the tranny and do something. Anyway has anyone else has any problems with their transmissions especialy in the hopped up trucks that are pushing 150+ tuned up?
Old 03-07-2007, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanlawnandlandscape View Post
i had both the superchips and the bullydog tuners didnt really care for either one . i went with a custom chip and it puts all of the tuners to shame