Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-06-2007, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Hydrostatic Operation

This is going to sound so elementary, I'm almost embarrassed. But I have only used belt driven mowers in 8 years of the business, so I have to ask. I just bought a Quick 36. It's hydrostatic. There are no grips to change direction. Do you literally just angle the mower manually to change directions? This is easier than pulling a grip to change the direction? How the hell does that work? I haven't tried it yet because its just to cold.
Sorry so basic, but I can't believe that's all there is to it.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not familiar with the Quick 36, but it sounds like a single hydro, in which case you do have to manually turn it.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedTruck View Post
This is going to sound so elementary, I'm almost embarrassed. But I have only used belt driven mowers in 8 years of the business, so I have to ask. I just bought a Quick 36. It's hydrostatic. There are no grips to change direction. Do you literally just angle the mower manually to change directions? This is easier than pulling a grip to change the direction? How the hell does that work? I haven't tried it yet because its just to cold.
Sorry so basic, but I can't believe that's all there is to it.
Here ya go it just might help ya! Direct from Quick 36 site above

Now, here’s the cool part… At your right hand are the controls for both speed and direction. They allow you to easily set your perfect walking pace and to change direction instantly (which is really handy when trimming around obstacles or under low-lying branches). A pistol-grip style lever makes the machine move forward. Speed can be varied on the fly by simply squeezing the control a little more or a little less. Release the lever and your mower comes to a safe and immediate stop.

Next to the forward lever is a smaller thumb operated lever that controls reverse. If you want the mower to move backward, push down on the thumb lever and begin backing up. Release the thumb lever and the machine stops.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes this is because of the single hydro like the last two replied. Ive heard good things about the quick36's however I don't think I would ever purchase a single hydro, I prefer the dual with pistol grops.

cheers
Jeff
Old 03-06-2007, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

What you're talking about is the forward and reverse operation. I am talking about turning left and right. Do you just guide the machine to the given direction?
Old 03-06-2007, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedTruck View Post
What you're talking about is the forward and reverse operation. I am talking about turning left and right. Do you just guide the machine to the given direction?
Yep, i belive thats how it works. Since there is only one hydro for both wheels, you can't cut power to just one of the wheels. Therefor you just muscle it to the left or right.