Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2007, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottreil View Post
Prolawn, some of the chicken manure based products can be as high as 18 percent, and I see a lot of the guys in our area basing their "organic" programs on just that product. Urea IS more water soluable, so it is more like the chemical fertilizers in that 1) there is a quick release from the water soluable part and 2) unlike most organics you can burn a lawn but good if you aren't careful...
There are no true organic products with that much N. Marketing terms and uninformed public = big money, and a leave a bad taste in peoples mouth for organics. A true organic company will follow some sort of guidelines, and will have the sense not to use any synthetic products, especially under the guise of an organic program.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a business in delco pa. Natural Lawn is not necessarily the company most people believe them to be. They most likely do not use 100% organic fertilizer, rather a standard fertilizer that has some organic base to it. If you read their program they do use synthetic herbicides as well. I will give them credit as they are more enviromentally friendly than many other companies out there. They still are a large company and sometimes as a result, you don't know if they guy making the applications is knowledgeable. In Pa. you don't have to be liscenced to make lawn applications, just registered with a company that has one liscenced appicator.

What I say to my customers is that in the beginning of your lawn renovation process you will in many cases have to use synthetic herbicides to get the weeds under control and allow the grass to mature. Once the grass is mature then an organic program is very beneficial with weed control done on a spot spray basis.

Contact me if you would like any information on my company.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks. I am going to give it a shot myself this year and see how I make out.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundit View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have waited 5 years to sart the process so I can be patient. The company is called Naural Lawn of America. They are the only organic one I could find in my area. They are charging $62.00 per treatment for 7 treatments based on a treatment area of 15,000 sq. ft. I don't know if that is a good price because they are the only ones in my area. I think it is comparable to the chemical co. charges.
I've done some research into the products NLA uses in their programs. It is produced at a chemical fertilizer factory called Spring Hill, I believe. It is traditional chemical fertilizers laced with some sewage sludge "biosolids". Their typical program that they recommend is use of this product plus 2 to 3 synthetic pesticide treatments, including a pre-m and spot treatment for weeds. I find this very deceptive.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

not really deceptive if they offer a pure organic program too. in my opinion they are still maintaining lawns in a safer manner than some other companies that just haphazardly spray unnecessary chemicals as band aids.

not sticking up for them, but i see tons...tons of companies in my area spraying unnecessary chemicals because it is efficient for them. they don't care about the soil, pets, children, etc...all about the bucks.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Member

I found a local store that has a nice supply of organics. I am gong to do it myself.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkosar View Post
not really deceptive if they offer a pure organic program too. in my opinion they are still maintaining lawns in a safer manner than some other companies that just haphazardly spray unnecessary chemicals as band aids.

not sticking up for them, but i see tons...tons of companies in my area spraying unnecessary chemicals because it is efficient for them. they don't care about the soil, pets, children, etc...all about the bucks.
You say you see tons and tons of companies spraying harmful chemicals. How do you know what they are spraying? You probably would see me out there spraying a lawn and think the same, but more than often I am spraying or spreading a natural product. Don't be too quick to judge all companies.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfsolutions View Post
You say you see tons and tons of companies spraying harmful chemicals. How do you know what they are spraying? You probably would see me out there spraying a lawn and think the same, but more than often I am spraying or spreading a natural product. Don't be too quick to judge all companies.
Turf, What all Natural Products are you applying if you don't mind sharing? I tried going a more organic route this year, but the co. i was going to use Tech Terra organics would not split a pallet for me 20 of one 20 of another. i told them i would even pick it up being that they are in NJ. Anyone ever do business w/ them?
-Jay
Old 03-15-2007, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The organic fertilizer is called earthrite. I get it from a local supplier at a 5-3-2 and 3-10-2 mix. Not cheap and very dusty. I only use this on 1 step per year. I would like to find a less dusty organic fert and use it on all granular fert steps. Still working on that one. I spray Companion and Essential, both manuf. by Growth Products. growthproducts.com Calcium based limestone and gypsum, Potash if soil tests call for. Those to name a few.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfsolutions View Post
Very true, i guess i don't know for sure 100%...but most companies around me I know people working for them and their programs. There are several in this area that blanket spray at least 3-4 times a year with herbicide even if a lawn has 5 weeds in it. Just my experience with my local companies. By the way there are no natural companies around me, so I know they are spraying pesticides. So, I guess about 98% sure that they are spraying unnecessary chemicals.