Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-06-2007, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Getting really close

Well, getting super close to getting my new venture off the ground. Spoke with my insurance agent today and will be recieving quotes for general liability insurance. He gave me ballpark prices and I was blown away at how cheap GL is for lawn maintenance, not nearly as expensive as I would have thought. Need to get down and get a business license and get settled in with the state. Then I need to setup QuickBooks to handle my accounting. Step after step, I'm getting closer and closer. Should be cutting grass within a week or two, we'll see what the weather does. Getting pretty pumped for the season and finally get back to some sort of self employment! I will keep my 25 hour a week job until I can completely support myself with the business, which may take a good year or so, but I make double my expenses a month working in a restaurant, it's a real easy way to make sure I cover business expenses until the mowing can support itself.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 03-06-2007, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I am 16 and im coming right where you're coming from as far as starting a new business. I am taking adult education classes at a local vocational school for a business management course to see what all I need to get me going instead of my under the table technique I used last year haha. By the way, I have Quickbooks pro 2005 and it works great, a lot better than Peachtree or Excel. I dont use most of the fancy stuff but it definatley helps to keep your stuff organized. Goodluck with your future business!
New Stihl BR550 Blower
Stihl 18" MS250 Chainsaw
Stihl FS 250R Straight Shaft Trimmer
Scag and Stihl is the BEST combo imo
"Excellence isn't an act, it's a habbit."
Old 03-06-2007, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Peachtree sucks, I've used it in my accounting classes at college, not impressed at all. I've used QuickBooks in the past, but on a much more simplistic level. My mom is damn good at QuickBooks so I'll have her sit down and show me everything I need to know, my accounting shouldn't be terribly difficult as I have zero payroll and I won't be writing too many checks. Plus, I'm taking accounting in college, so I know my way around the general practice, just need to figure out how to do everything in software.

For being 16, I wouldn't worry too much about being legit. The Feds aren't going to come after you until you're 18, I wouldn't worry about it. I was non-legit for 6 years and decided it probably was best not to continue going that route so when I turned 18 I basically turned over all my equipment to my dad, he collected the revenue and paid me as an employee. Basically when you're a minor, you can't really own anything or have any responsibility over anythying legally anyway. Cheating the government, as an adult, is just stupid. They will find you eventually, completely not worth it at all. I'll pay the taxes and know that I'm not looking over my shoulder constantly.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah the last thing I need is the IRS haunting me down but I never realized that being 16 I dont really need to worry about the headache stuff. I still want to learn everything though so I am prepared when the time comes and I have to start being all professional with taxes and what not. Oh, I also am a one man show so I dont have any employees to deal with either as of now.
New Stihl BR550 Blower
Stihl 18" MS250 Chainsaw
Stihl FS 250R Straight Shaft Trimmer
Scag and Stihl is the BEST combo imo
"Excellence isn't an act, it's a habbit."
Old 03-06-2007, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Absolutely, education never hurt anyone.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like your on your way. I'm the same boat. I'm slowly getting around to finally contacting insurance companies and the state and all that good stuff. It'll come around soon enough I suppose. Good luck