Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I am reading this right 15x15 lots and 130 of them, that is less than one acre of total grass. 29,250 sq. feet. Even if they have a lot to trim around I can't believe that lots that small could take a crew of 4 all day to do. I think you need to look at this a bit more before jumping into it. JMO
Old 03-07-2007, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

get a two man crew, you and your partner. get one rider 48-52" two string trimmers an edger and a couple blowers.

Do half one day and half the next. No one will want to coem work for you for one day...Most HOA's will require insurance, WC, and at least some proof that you know what you are doing, You don't even have job portfolio to show that you know what you are doing.

Yes I know, Cutting grass is not rocket science, but if you want maintain a comercial property, You have to have some idea of what to do..

42 cuts is too many...I was working Orlando Florida and the most I could squeeze out was 36-38 on a good year with irrigation and fert, and you are a couple hundred mile north of that...

they want a cheaper price but more cuts, so you are still only going to gross 49K a year. which means 16K is going back into the business as overhead( at a minumum), which means that you and partner are going to split 32K a year...

Do us a favor. get the contract, buy the nicest equipment you can. and then in year, come back and put up for sale for us to pick over the ashes...

I would consider at 49K a year, doing this as a solo OP provided the HOA was willing to let me do it over several days. Theymight let you.

The nice thing is that you may pick up several "back yards" which would help make the job more profitable, but it woudl take more time...

trimming and edgeing is going take all of your time.....
Old 03-07-2007, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Member

wow, some of you guys are tough. That is ok, I didnt claim to know much. I do know that when an opportunity presents itself, you seize it.

I feel this is a great opportunity, and I am trying to learn the details of the lawn business - which is why I am on this board.

Setting up the business and doing the paper work isnt a big obstacle for me. I have prior experience in that. The obstacle is buying the correct equipment, and hiring the right people. I am not willing to "trim" myself. I am willing to ride though.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgropher View Post
They are called Whipper Snippers
Now I am confused. Is the weedeater the Whipper Snipper, ir the crew memebers......
Old 03-07-2007, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
.....Do us a favor. get the contract, buy the nicest equipment you can. and then in year, come back and put up for sale for us to pick over the ashes.......
should we start making orders of what we want? get 2 Br600's, Scag TT 61", and also a Leaf Loader! 16HP +
Old 03-07-2007, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total.Lawn.Care View Post
Now I am confused. Is the weedeater the Whipper Snipper, ir the crew memebers......
ok, so now i know, my elderly customers have been calling me a Trimmer this whole time!!!
Old 03-07-2007, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

"not willing to trim" ?? you better be ready to trim when your help doesn't show up and there's rain forcasted for the next 4 days and it needs to get done. were not being hard on you were saving you from a huge mistake.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ha ha ha ha ha ha. good luck
Old 03-07-2007, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Member

yes, in the case that workers dont show I would have to trim - true.

you guys act like this is brainsugery, and I know better.

i guess you would rather weedout your competition than encourge
Old 03-07-2007, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonte4 View Post
yes, in the case that workers dont show I would have to trim - true.

you guys act like this is brainsugery, and I know better.

i guess you would rather weedout your competition than encourge
Hello!! I'm in massachusetts, your not my competion, actually on second thought even if you lived next door you wouldn't be my competion. get a clue.