Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonte4 View Post
finally someone is making some sense here!!!!

Oh, I get it now.

I just realized that you are the original poster.

Just another case of a newbie coming in here, asking for advice, then when he/she does not recieve the answer they want to hear...

They flame everyone who has tried to help them.

Originally posted by SLR:
Quote:
you really got off fortunate and lucky 5-0boy1!..imagine if you an her created a little 5boy1,now there's a nicely entangled chaotic toranado vise!
THE VERY BEST SOURCE OF INFO FOR THE GREEN INDUSTRY! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
Old 03-08-2007, 02:28 AM
LawnSite Member

i would like to know of anyone that has offered advice other than "you are over your head," laughed at me and the like. The fact is that I want to put the wheels in motion and do this thing and earn as much profit as I can.

experience? well, ived trimmed and mowed before, some of you guys think this is way more difficult than it is. I can afford equipment. I can set up a business easy as 1, 2, 3. Hiring help is the major obstacle here.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoboy01 View Post
You're making WAY too many assumptions here.

First off, I'm willing to bet the yards are larger than 15x15 feet. That's TINY and we have 100-200 home subdivisions here, and the smallest front lawns are still 3 times that size.
Sounds like townhomes to me, anyway, thats what was said!

You have zero idea how much trimming or edging there is to do. The trimming will likely take longer than the mowing.
Duh! Of course it will take longer...but no more than 7 hrs to do the cutting, 12 hrs for trimming and 3-4 hrs blowing

Does this guy have a truck? Trailer? How about getting set up with the state, getting a tax number etc? This stuff all takes time and money. There's going to be a good amount of equipment maintenance.

A. setting up with the state...lets see...uh...maybe $200 max! B. Does he NEED a truck? he lives IN the neighborhood! C. tax id number took me...umm...10 minutes..need a link? D. equip maintenence...um....I think the $100 per cut should handle sharpening blades, general maintenence. E. time AND money.....no kidding...I there is some leeway.

It took the previous company 44 man hours to do this in one day. You think that ONE guy with ZERO experience is going to do it in less than half the time? HA. HA.
a. OK...44 man hours....people working for someone.....when working FOR someone, you might give 50% efficiency, probably less. I can ALWAYS tell a worker from an owner....100% of the time. b. Zero experience...we're talking cutting, edging and mowing...not building hardscapes or designing flower beds....besides I'm sure he's cut a yard at some point in his life... and believe me, by the 10th yard, he WILL be experienced. WHy do all of you people think everyone is an idiot?

Sure, just strap everything to the mower. Real professional.

If he does the job and has the contract, he can cut in his underwear! or he could spend a crapload and get custon t-shirts, hats, trailer, $40k truck, $15k custom enclosed trailer....AND the cool shades from Maui Jim! for $100 a cut, he can rent a trailer for the day...jeez!

Maybe, maybe not.

Maybe, maybe not. So what is your suggestion for his explanation while he completely and utterly screws up the first 3 or 4 cuts? "I'm trying to get experience"? HA! Now THAT will leave a GREAT impression on the HOA!

I really don't see him as "screwing up" the first 3-4 cuts...hell he can practice on his own for 6-8 cuts in what.....45 minutes! problem solved!

Whatever it is, it seems like you've been hogging it...

because I am speaking LOGICALLY?

If it's that easy, then damn, I must be doing something WAY wrong
maybe if you had access to a ready made contract for a $1500/cut job, you wouldn't feel that way. I would be willing to bet that 80-90% of the people in here learned 95% of their "technical" skills in this business in the first week on the job.
Mmonte4, you have to realize that alot of people in here also are VERY protective of their "turf", no pun intended, and they feel like what they have accomplished wasn't easy and that anyone who should have it easy, is "cheating" the system. It is NOT rocket science. I have a 16 yr old boy that JUST got his license........I would be willing to bet that if he had a job like that fall into his lap, that he could handle it...easily!
Old 03-08-2007, 02:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoboy01 View Post
Oh, I get it now.

I just realized that you are the original poster.

Just another case of a newbie coming in here, asking for advice, then when he/she does not recieve the answer they want to hear...

They flame everyone who has tried to help them.

How has anyone tried to help him? by telling "no, it's not possible" or no, you'll be in over your head". DO you realize how dark the ages would be if people had always listened to that advice? Lets see...."No, people cannot fly"..."no, a lightbulb cannot work"....."no, Bill, you cannot steal an idea from Apple or Zerox and make Billions".....Shall I go on?
Old 03-08-2007, 04:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Damn, I think he should go for it! If he has the balls to come back to this site after he gets in WAY over his head it should make for some good entertainment.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have been giving advice....we have been showing you some of the pitfalls and problem you will encounter along the way. Yes we think you are in over your head. Its doubtful that any HOA is going to give you serious consideration, unless your price is rock bottom and the current price is very low at 37 an hour.

The whole "learn as you go" just doesn't fly with commercial properties.

Just becasue you don't agree with the advice does not make it bad advice.

Yes you need a truck and yes you need a trailer. how else are you going to get your equipment to an from the shop when it needs to be worked on. Or how else are you going to remove debris that occurs when a storm drops branches and leaves.

I agree with the whole "do it yourself" and not hire anyone. I was doing 60-70 Single family homes each week before i hired a helper, andonlyuntil i was doing about 100 a week did I start the second crew, and then once I got the 10 acre 200 Unit town house complex with full maint did I hire the 3rd crew...

If you can make it work and clear a reasonable profit, we'll be happy for you...but the number you are talking and the way you are proposing going about it, don't give us much hope for your success. Think about the current established contractor grossing 37 an hour....and you want to come in and lower the price and do a better job with no experience.

go to HD buy john deere L&G tractor, and weedy and hand held blower and an edger, and a small debris trailer for your mower. parkit all in your garage and have at it..

do it as a solo op and work 4 days of the week by yourself and you'll turn a decent profit. Start hiring 3 guys to work one day a week, you'll never see a penny in your pocket...
Old 03-08-2007, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
i would like to know of anyone that has offered advice other than "you are over your head," laughed at me and the like. The fact is that I want to put the wheels in motion and do this thing and earn as much profit as I can.

experience? well, ived trimmed and mowed before, some of you guys think this is way more difficult than it is. I can afford equipment. I can set up a business easy as 1, 2, 3. Hiring help is the major obstacle here.
Go for it......dont listen to these guy that have had SUCESSFUL business for years...show em there wrong. BUT in 6 months you come back on here and give us an HONEST assment of how its going, if you feel that strongly that its not hard, shouldnt be a problem to rub it in are face.............BUT if you fail and everything these guys are trying to tell you comes true be a man and state the facts.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sure a lot of----------------------------------- BULL.

Attached Images

Old 03-08-2007, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

After reading all this... When I read the original post, the very first thought was "NO! Don't do a condo/townhouse/HOA/apartment complex!", then my second thought was "OMG, and you LIVE there too!!!".

1. condo/HOA/apartments can be VERY difficult. It has been mentioned in some responses, about old ladies coming out in curlers and yelling at you, IT WILL HAPPEN!! If you don't quickly develop a thick skin, it will really get to you (you ever wonder why you've only talked to the employees of the existing maintenance company, and the owner is no where to be seen?). Are you going to stop and talk to these people? Are you going to ignore them? You are the owner and do want to make a good impression, which leads to....

2. You live there?? Everyone and your neighbor will come knocking on your door with problems. From complaints about the quality of work, times that you are mowing, a rock hit my car... Then also, if some "minor" job needs to be done (gutter is hanging, branch is hanging over entrance, my screen door squeaks...), hey, the "lawn guy" lives right over there! He'll take care of it! It's only an extra minute! And since he lives here, he will want to do it just to help out and improve where he lives! With 129 possible "only an extra minute" jobs, every week, and you know each one will probably take at least two hours....
Who do you charge for any extra time?

Yes, this could work. I think you are very much underestimating the amount of time and effort required, though. This could be the start of a successful maintenance company for housing complexes. You may possibly get a lot of referrals, too, becuase many companies (like mine, for instance) don't really want to do them.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

I'm still laughing. Do it, please. It's sooooo easy, nothing to it. You're right, piece of cake.
Closed Thread