Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

never heard of weed wedging here. now look, you asked your question and we're all telling you not to do this for your own good. your asking advice and not liking what your hearing. thats not right. all of us are trying to help you suceed, and your not taking it that way, i promise we are. and for someone who has never been in this business, really shouldnt take a job that big. but ya know what, if ya want to try it, go for it. if it works for ya, great, but if it doesnt your goin to be in a world of hurt. good luck.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 03-09-2007, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I think that intentionally low-balling a bid is a bad idea. Thats a good way to start off bad relations with other companies in your area that are much larger then you. Be prepared for some possible backlash if that company finds out that you intentionally under cut them....its happened before in my area. A lco came out one morning to find all the tires on his trailer and truck slashed as well as a paver through his windshield. He had recently started up and stole a few accounts away by purposly underbidding a much larger and reputable company...of whom which I know personally. The owner of the larger company is a hot head, but a very nice guy as long as you dont step on his toes, if you understand what I am saying. This industry can be very cut throat and brutal, as well as some of the other construction industrys as well. Its not as uncommon as you think to see backlash against guys who puprosly steal away work from others, especially if you are new to the game....it takes a while to gain respect, but it is the best thing you can have with your fellow landscapers in your area..If you honestly think that you can succeed and make a profit, then more power to you. Just remember what goes around comes around. People can be very spitefull.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

you dont have a clue....

you are not qualified to do this, and if you ge the job, you will lose it when you cant do it properly, and yoru equipment fails.... and they find out your not insured.....

go work for an established company for the season and learn what you are doing
6 full time
Old 03-09-2007, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonte4 View Post
I would appreciate an actual response, and not a "dont even try, bad idea, etc." It can be done and it will be done.
Monte, you have received several very, very good post's. Yard Pro's being one of them. Some of the post's have even have made me think of how I do things. The problem is you do not want advice, you just what someone, no everyone, to agree with what you are planing on doing. And because you do not what real advice, some have choose to make fun of your post. You all ready have your first problem, and you have not even started yet. You need a change in your business plan if you wish to be a LCO. You also need to change your attitude and take things with a grain of salt. It is free advice, and remember you did ask. PR

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com

Last edited by PR Fect; 03-09-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm lost for words on this one??
Old 03-09-2007, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonte4 View Post
enough of the insults already. I am a college graduate also YardPro, and may be interested in expanding in the future. If you are willing, I look forward to hearing your advice on startup, expansion, etc.

I would like to post some pics of the neighborhood, but dont know how to do it on a msg board. This could give you guys some idea of what kind of equipment to recommend, as well as # of people needed to complete the job in 12 hrs or less. This will help me tremendously in crunching the numbers.
mmonte,
the problem you have it that you think you have it all figured out and re deaf to the advise of people here.... almost every person that has replied has said that you should not do this, and you are in over your head... etc... yet you refuse to take thier advise... and here you are still asking for advise when everyone is telling you it's a bad idea.....

as the question about how many people it wil take to do it in 12 hours or less shows your ignorance... hours are hours... period....
4 guys at 12 hours is still 48 hours...you seem not to have a concept about labor hours...

also your reply about the contractor not having to do the work..... ludicrous.....

as someone else stated, contractors almost always have many years of experience banging nails, etc.. before they become a contractor.

your entire approach to this situation is totally wrong, and looking at it through the eyes of an experienced contractor, you look like an idiot.... this is why everyone here is responding the way they are... there is A LOT of experience on this board, but you seem to ignore it, and are insulting those that have given you good honest advise about what to do...and that advise has been almost unanimously don't do it...

you need to walk before you can run...and to be honest, if you cannot figure out how to post pictures on here how are you going to figure out how to run a business.....
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 03-09-2007, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YardPro View Post
mmonte,
.... almost every person that has replied has said that you should not do this, and you are in over your head... etc... yet you refuse to take thier advise... and here you are still asking for advise when everyone is telling you it's a bad idea.....

A great entrepreneur will be able to successfully identify weather or not his idea, which he may love tremendously, is actually an idea he can succeed at. Do you love it, have a passion for it, do you have an aptitude for it, do you want to get into landscaping to cut grass, or are you just looking at the monthly money.......do you know how much you could risk losing if you don't know how much it will cost you down to the penny what you will actually have to spend. Or, what if something happens and someone runs into property with machinery, or busts a window out, etc.

Wise entrepreneur you may not end up, but experience will try to teach you better....learn form mistakes and try harder...but you will give 100% to a business, grass or otherwise if you want to live on it.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't been checking this site as much as usual. This is crazy. There is no way an HOA will let the winning bid go to a company that only exists in theory! Well, they might if your bid is so low that you WILL NOT profit. It's just cutting grass.....any moron could do that. Go ahead and prove everyone wrong. BTW, you are NOBODY'S competition, so don't even play that card. You are a joke. It will not happen. But let that be your encouragement and inspiration....you'll be able to say, "everybody was against me and I proved them wrong......they were all negative saying that I could not do it...that it could not be done. But here I am, atop my Bolens riding lawn tractor not making a dime and I am proving them all wrong!" ....That should be a moment that feels pretty good to you. I really hope it works out for you....but it won't.

Lawn care in Pensacola, Florida.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think you should do it. Home owners associations are great because if there is a problem instead of one person to deal with you have 130. That way someone is sure to mention it to you. True you may have to hear the same thing a few times, but then you can correct it.And you live there, another good thing, so they can contact you easily. I would go for it.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Update

my partner has spoken to a friend of his who runs his own local lawn service. He says to JUMP on this. These opportunities dont fall into one's lap very often. He is coming to look at the neighborhood himself on Sunday to give us his advise on the best approach.
Closed Thread