Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2007, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Longest Drive

I just got an email from a guy about doing some work for him. He mentioned leaf removal, mowing, and some bush/tree trimming. He lives about 30 minutes away from my usual route. This would only be one account in this area, so my question is would it be worth driving 1 hour round trip to do this when I could cut another 2 or 3 yards in my own area.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Take the account, and promote advertising in the area. By already having an account there, there will be a sample of your work for the others to see and may get you more accounts quicker.

Serving the Greater Savannah Area
www.tlc-lawncare.com
Old 03-07-2007, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

well how much are you gonna be getting from it ? if you advertised in that area would you get more accounts?
Old 03-08-2007, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to jump to conclusions here and ask why he can't get anybody in his own area to do it. If you take the job, raise your price up a bit to cover the travel time. Don't be fooled by the "I have all kinds of work" crap. Price each job independantly and don't let him use up your time on quotes and free advice. Quote the leaf job and leave. The more money he spends, the nicer you can treat him.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not a chance I would travel 30 minutes in each direction for one client, not even 10 clients. To suceed in this business you need to be as productive as you can all day long and 1-hour in travel time could be 3 or more clients in your existing area.

Also take into account that not only are you loosing the hour each week in travel time which is a loss of income but your also spending extra gas money to get there. You should be looking to add more clients in your existing service area not looking to add clients over an hour away.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

my uncle just moved about 15-20 minutes from me and im going to cut his lawn, i already picked up 2 more customers up there and nobody has seen my work or anything.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well I got the guys address, and he is every bit of a half and hour or more away. Between mileage on the truck, gas in the truck pulling the trailer, and time that I could be cutting in my usual area I don't think I can justify it. I've got a buddy that cuts a little closer to where this guy's at so I'm going to pass it on to him for hopes of a lead in my area.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I am trying to establish a full-time client base, so I would take the job. I also have a policy of charging milage on accounts more than 20 miles from my place of business. .38-cents a mile. If/when I have enough local business to pay the bills, then I will be more selective.
http://www.NELawnCare.com

2007 Ferris 1500Z 25HP 52" Zero Turn
2007 Ferris 36" Hydro Walk-Behind
Toro 21" Push
Ferris 3-Bag Fast Vac
Echo PB-620 Blowers
Red Max Trimmers
Cen-Tex 12"x6" Trailer
NorthStar Pressure Washer Trailer
BOSS Snow Plow
2006 F150 4x4
Old 03-08-2007, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Unless he lives in a fairly large town where you would be able to market your services in that area I would pass on doing his lawn. Gas is supposed to be around the $3 mark again this year and trucks as a rule get lousy gas mileage and I don't think he would want to pay for your gas and your drive time along with what you would be charging to do the work.