Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2007, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just Venting

I don't need any advise but I thought I would share this. I was asked to give a quote for a guy who has a vacant 3 acre lot. It is relatively flat and not a lot of trimming. I walked the property and then gave him my price. I quoted him $140.00 dollars to cut and trim. I usually charge $60.00 for 1 acre but since this was 3acres I reduced my price to that.

I didn't mention this guy has several gas stations and is Middle Eastern. I hate dealing with these guys because they are always trying to get something for nothing.

Well, after I tell him my price he tells me that he has a guy that will cut it for $60.00. I told him that I can't compete with that, and he is lucky to have someone that can cut it that cheap. It just makes me so mad that I wasted my time and if someone is cutting it for that price why is he asking me for a quote.

I'm just venting. I guess I should get myself ready for more of these since the season will be starting soon.

Howard
Old 03-07-2007, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get use to it Did you ask were the $60.00 guys is now. I had one this year too. My bid came to around $600.00 for two locations. She says some GUY said he would do it for $100.00. I looked at her and told her you should hire him right away. She was amazed by that comment.
JOSH
Old 03-07-2007, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Makes you want to pound some 1/2" thick rebarb spikes around there. A new set of blades will teach them. I wuold never do that but sometimes you would like to. He might be pulling you leg too.Hold your price and walk away.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They do. they lie about stuff like that all the time. They WILL try to talk you down on every last thing, though. you give them a price, and they always counter with something about 30 to 50% cheaper. this is why I don't work for many of this type.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I gave a guy a quote of $100 for a little over 2 acre lot with about a 10 dergee slope on it he said he had some one that would do it for $20. i said **** if you got some one that will cut this much for $20 tell him to do it but dont call me again when your yard looks like ****. or there really isnt any one thats gonna mow it.

here is the funny part he calls me a week later and said he cant get any one to do it for under $150. so i told him ya ill cut it but its now for $120 a week. he was kinda mad over the phone called me some bad words!!! lol and after he was dont yelling i said "here is how i got that price i was being nice and said $100 you tried to get me to go lower when i was already at the least amount i could go. You said you had some one that would cut it for $20, so i added that on and now you are paying me to cut it for $20 and your paying me to cut it for $100. Now thats $120 a week for lying to me and i need to be paid before i even start my mower. I told him thats my price take it or leave it."

he took it and i made sure i was paid as soon as i pulled in. i told him if not i would leave. he paided every week then lol

im a nice guy until start being a dick and think that you can get me to go lower

1999 dodge ram 2500 4x4 (ex plow truck needs tranny work)

1998 dodge ram 2500 ext cab needs all new lines (soon to be the new plow truck)

curtis plow 7 1/2ft 4 years old

1995 7ft X 16ft trailer

woods diesel zero turn 5ft mowing deck (60 inch) 6-7 years old

and a whole lot more ill up date later
Old 03-07-2007, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
They do. they lie about stuff like that all the time. They WILL try to talk you down on every last thing, though. you give them a price, and they always counter with something about 30 to 50% cheaper. this is why I don't work for many of this type.
I believe it goes deeper than this "type". In general homeowners are spending their money "they" had to work hard for. I'm the same way when I buy equipment etc... I don't jerk people around like this guy did though.

That's why I prefer dealing with people where the money is once removed or twice removed. That happens mostly in commercial/industrial/condominiums.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Member

big, isn't doing that just as bad as what he did to you? i would have stuck by my offer.
Quick 36" Samurai Hydro
Lesco 36" Belt-Drive
RedMax EB4401 Blower
Shindaiwa T231 Trimmer

Proud student at The Ohio State University
Old 03-08-2007, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

good on him...that guy shouldn't have tried to lowball him...he's lucky he's getting it for 120 instead of over 150....i just had a guy exactly like that..."well my last guy was doin it for 25 but if you wanna charge 50 i'll pass"...i could tell the guy was lying through his teeth but i just grit my teeth flash a smile and give him my estimate...gotta please the customers....
Old 03-08-2007, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Member

I call this type of customer a "bid squasher". Even tho it makes you angry, it's best to smile, say thank you, and hand them a business card. Tell them, "if you change your mind, please call me".

In doing this, it allows the customer to save face and they will be less embarrassed to call you back to do the work after they realize their counter offer is ridiculous. Then you benefit from the job and they benefit by getting a good deal.

Just my 2-cents.
http://www.NELawnCare.com

2007 Ferris 1500Z 25HP 52" Zero Turn
2007 Ferris 36" Hydro Walk-Behind
Toro 21" Push
Ferris 3-Bag Fast Vac
Echo PB-620 Blowers
Red Max Trimmers
Cen-Tex 12"x6" Trailer
NorthStar Pressure Washer Trailer
BOSS Snow Plow
2006 F150 4x4
Old 03-08-2007, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dude its like I always say...I'll walk away as fast as I walked up! I quoted a guy awhile back for a very large cleanup job...pruning...the works...quoted him 400 I think. He told me he had a guy that would do it for 100...i simply told him to call his guy...shook his hand...said good meeting you...and walked off. Dont forget...there are guys that work for beer money...but what I dont understand...is..if these people have guys that will work for free...why do they still call us??? Ive never figured that out.
Quick 36 Samurai 16HP Kawasaki
21" Honda HR215
RedMax BCZ2600S Trimmer
Echo SRM230 Trimmer
Shindaiwa LE260 Edger
Stihl BR 600 Back Pack Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl 018C Chainsaw

http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com