Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2007, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Member

First Mower

Hi: I'm pretty new to the site and have been reading for several weeks. A lot of good information here!!

If I was just going to buy one WB and cut lawns for and by myself what size should I get as the first mower? I used to cut lawns as a side business and at one point had about 50 accounts , but now I'm retired (cop) and looking to supplement my retirement income. Since I know how to cut lawns, and get the proper insurance and permits for pesticides, I am looking at starting up again. I plan on being a small, but first class setup, mostly cutting residentials, mulching and small clean ups etc.

I'm leaning toward a 48, but I know that may prohibit some gates, and hence jobs if that's the only mower I have. My plan is to cut 20-25 1/4 to 3/4 acre lawns per week, but it may be the better part of this coming season before I get to that. I was originally thinking of a Z-rider of some sort and a 36, but I'm not sure having JUST a 36 is going to be enough to get by.

Should I just bite the bullet and get two mowers from the get go?? If so should I get two WB's or a rider and a WB?

I'm 53 and in pretty good shape albeit a chronically sore back, but I've had that for 20 years.
I have a 10-12K budget for my start up, but don't need to spend that all at once.

On a completely different subject... 18 foot open trailer or a 20 foot enclosed???? I currently have a newer Duramax short bed and a 10ft open trailer.

Anybody done this recently that could shed some light??

Thanks

Joe
Old 03-07-2007, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

suck it up and get 2 mowers a 60 inch rider and a 32 inch walker the rider will cut the main part of the grass quick and the 32inch you can use if you need to go through gates and go for the bigger trailer every one says it might come in handy but get what ever you want

1999 dodge ram 2500 4x4 (ex plow truck needs tranny work)

1998 dodge ram 2500 ext cab needs all new lines (soon to be the new plow truck)

curtis plow 7 1/2ft 4 years old

1995 7ft X 16ft trailer

woods diesel zero turn 5ft mowing deck (60 inch) 6-7 years old

and a whole lot more ill up date later