Old 07-20-2001, 02:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

well, alrighty then. i do see your point
Old 07-20-2001, 02:51 AM
Millenium Member

Cool.
Old 07-20-2001, 09:39 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Quote:
Originally posted by bobbygedd
cus i dont know
In another post you claimed to be a NJ licensed certified pesticide applicator.

If you were an actual licensed applicator you would know the answer.

Ever since the inception on this forum I thought this would be a very bad idea to offer any pesticide application advice since there is no way to check for any actual credentials.
Old 07-20-2001, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

lawrence, i am a licensed applicator! but, what makes u think that because someone passes that idiot test that they know EVERYTHING there is to know? did u take the test? was it hard? i finished the 4 hr test in 45 min. alot of guys that pass this test are as dumb as a field mouse and have about as many teeth as one. i know how to use what i need to use for my business. if i could see the area this guy is talking about, i could advise him, but from his post i dont know what he needs to kill, or prevent or if even any application is neccesarry at all. point im making is just because a man is licensed doesnt mean he knows EVERYTHING. i think no one is answering his question cus they dont know! lets face it, anyone can get a permit, all u need is the cash, and thats all they really want.
Old 07-20-2001, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not arguing with the advice for this person to hire a licensed applicator, but I'm going to have to go with Bobby on this one. I'd hardly equate being a licensed pesticide operator with being a doctor, although poor practices in either case can be harmful.

I think the point Bobby makes is that the information learned through study for the license is not necessarily the same information needed to know the best product to use. That takes a third party such as in my state a "licensed pesticide dealer manager" or a "licensed pesticide public consultant". If that person is knowledgeable and helpful, you're in luck, but if you can't find someone in this category well you might have to ask lawnsite. If someone could point me to a cross-referenced list of all commercial pesticide products then I could make a much more informed decision as to what the proper or best material is for a specific application. As it is, I have to rely either on a dealer [who obviously will push only the products he has available] or a 'consultant' who I have found to be pretty unhelpful [they're volunteers at the Ag Extension].

I took a three day prepatory class to obtain my pesticide license this spring and came to the conclusion that it is a governmental scam, not so much to lighten my pocketbook, but to put me under the state's microscope so they can check on me whenever they want to. If licensed you have to allow unannounced inspections, show all your paperwork and it had better be right and updated, and generally open yourself up to a level of scrutiny that I'd much rather avoid.

I decided not to take the exam, rather I have altered my practices and decided to hire professionals as needed. So far works for me, but I'd still rather know that when I hire a pro that they will be using 1] the best product for the application, and 2] the most cost-effective. The reason this is such a valuable site is that I can check up with others who have impartial knowledge and experience then make my own decision.

So, back to the question. I think you all make the correct point that the applicator needs to be licensed, but please don't jump to the conclusion that just because someone is licensed that they know it all or have encylopaedic knowledge of all pesticides available for all applications. Bobby has it right.
Will M>
Old 07-20-2001, 01:54 PM
Banned

OKAY......
Why do you want to poison your soil with herbicides prior to planting? Anyway, most herbicides are foliar applied and therefore if you have "cleared" off a hillside sprays wouldn't be as effective without foliage. Soil applied are out since you will be planting. Maybe just hand pull weeds as your new garden grows in or use Roundup as a spot spray, dense, layered, plantings will take much better care of themselves.
Old 07-20-2001, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

THANK U MR. ZIFFEL! sometimes i try to make a point and seem a little rude while doing so, u explained it properly for me. usually when i prep an area for planting, the exsisting unwanted shrubbery is removed, property is prepped/graded etc., then we use a pre-em and fabric, never had a problem with stuff growing back.
Old 07-20-2001, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I dont like giving advise to someone who wouldnt know how to utilize it properly,it wasnt legal, or the consequenses could harm them or the environment.I wish there were a way to separate the men from the boys,so to speak.
Old 07-20-2001, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone, for your replies. I had thought about spraying the area w/ round up my self,just wanted to see if anyone suggested any different.I wouldnt illegally spray anything.thanks again. SHANE
Old 07-21-2001, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mr. Ziffel is right.
If I wanted an operation I would want a doctor to do it. But I would ask a lot of people how it was done and what medicine was to used after. How else do you make an informed decision.