Register free!

Old 03-08-2007, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nutralene, Nitroform

I know these (methylene ureas) are not "organic", but would you consider these a good alternative to traditional organics due to the fact that they have a long release, contain a good amount of carbon and can increase microbial populations. I see this as a more cost-effective route than using alfalfa (etc), if the end result is the same.

Is there any reason to use something like alfalfa or cornmeal, etc, rather than chicken poo?
Old 03-08-2007, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

being able to advertise to potential customers that you are not putting down chicken poo

haven't dealt with any MU so couldn't give you any advice on that topic
Old 03-08-2007, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

They may not be organic, but I'll tell you what -it's hard to find a better source of N. as long as you have a decent amount of O.M. already in your soil.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 03-08-2007, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassmechanic View Post
They may not be organic, but I'll tell you what -it's hard to find a better source of N. as long as you have a decent amount of O.M. already in your soil.
. . . which is why ferts with blends of MU and an organic source (biosolids, poultry manure) produce excellent results.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought several pallets of 21-0-21 that was 50/50 nutralene/nitroform. great product! I save it and use it sparingly just as my sprign application.

It does a lot of good and does very little harm to the soil. To me iti s the best compliment to pure organics you can get!
Old 03-09-2007, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmarvin4064 View Post
I know these (methylene ureas) are not "organic", but would you consider these a good alternative to traditional organics due to the fact that they have a long release, contain a good amount of carbon and can increase microbial populations. I see this as a more cost-effective route than using alfalfa (etc), if the end result is the same.

Is there any reason to use something like alfalfa or cornmeal, etc, rather than chicken poo?

Both have a very low salt index...great products
Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 03-09-2007, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Not to burst anybody's bubble or anything, but the Methylene Urea products are made with formaldehyde and urea, reacted together. This is not a 100% complete process, and there is residual traces of formaldehyde in the final product. I have opted to not use this product for this reason - I still use feed-grade urea (albeit not natural), carefully, in my liquid and granular formulations.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkosar View Post
being able to advertise to potential customers that you are not putting down chicken poo
So properly composted poultry manure is a turn off to customers? Have you used it? Does it smell like manure?
Old 03-10-2007, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have used a few products with it. i don't think it smells bad...a little earthy, but not like when the farmers spread manure in the country, and it smells all the way in the city. the customers won't even know you are putting down composted chicken litter unless they were to ask. i was just saying it is nice to be able to assure customers you are not putting down chicken or other animal crap on their lawn. i got a feeling most would rather have you just put chemicals on it instead of poop.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkosar View Post
i got a feeling most would rather have you just put chemicals on it instead of poop.

I disagree. I think most customers understand that using any processed waste product, be it poultry manure, biosolids, whatever; is an excellent way to recycle the massive amounts of wastes we generate as a society. Most believe this is far preferable than having to pay additional taxes to build new water and sewage treatment facilities, or clean up our lakes and streams . . .

I think all fertilizer blends of any kind should contain at least some treated waste products. Just think what a better product Lesco's 24-5-11 would be with say, 50% biosolids!

Oh, wait! Then it would be their 15-2-7, wouldn't it!