Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

View Poll Results: Do you think it would be cool to have an froum dedicated to herbicidal discussions???
Yes, it would be cool 1 12.50%
No, it wouldn't be cool 7 87.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2001, 03:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Herbicide forum?

I think there should be an herbicide forum dedicated to only herbicidal related discussions. Just a suggestion. What do you guys think?
Echo PB-603
Echo PE-3100
Old 07-19-2001, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Herbicides are one type of many types of pesticides, and that subject is consequently covered in the Pesticide Forum. Your suggestion would be kind of like making a Blower Forum separate from the Commercial Lawn Forum.
Old 07-19-2001, 05:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Agreed BRL. It's not a good idea to break everything up into too many different forums.
What happens is people end up not posting in the appropriate forum anyway. They tend to think to just post it in the commercial forum because they think it gets the most views.
Old 07-19-2001, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh, I didn't know herbicide was a type of pesticide.....are you sure it is? It doesn't seem like it is. Not saying you are wrong, just sounds kinda iffy to me. I also didn't know it was covered in the pesticide forum, cuz I never really go there. Well here's an idea, how about renaming the pesticide forum to the "Pesticide/Herbicide Forum" just so people know that that is the place to have those discussions and where to search for herbide informatio, because I had no idea that was covered in the pesticide forum. Granted, I did not look, but I didn't because the name only said pesticide.......?????
Echo PB-603
Echo PE-3100
Old 07-20-2001, 01:47 AM
Millenium Member

A herbicide is a form of pesticide. A pest is any undesirable object in a lawn, be it bug or weed. An IPM targets both plant and insect pest.
Old 07-20-2001, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll elaborate on Ray's post a little because he's only thinking of grass . A pest is any undesirable organism in lawns, trees, shrubs, buildings etc. A pesticide is a chemical or other agent that kills or controls the pest. Pesticides include herbicides (for weeds), insecticides (for grubs, ants, termites etc.) fungicides (for fungus & disease) rodenticides (for rats, etc.). Vibe Ray, if you are thinking of applying pesticides you need to be licensed first (each state has its own procedures & regulations), and the licensing process should educate you about these things.

Now as far as the Pesticide Forum here at LS goes, it should probably be renamed the Pesticide & Fertilizer Forum. This is because they are often combined, and I see many fertilizer questions moved from the Commercial Forum to there. Renaming it & making fertilizer posts part of that forum would help alleviate some confusion I believe.

To BRL & Vibe Ray: The description of the Pesticide Forum does include "herbicide" and "fertilizer" as subjects for that forum. Pay more attention LOL.
Old 07-20-2001, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Pesticides are anything that intentionally kills a living organism.Fungicides,Insecticides,and Herbicides are all Pesticides and in the Pesticide Forum.
Old 07-20-2001, 05:58 PM
Banned

Maybe it's not so good to speak about pesticides on the web....
Old 07-20-2001, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vibe Ray
Oh, I didn't know herbicide was a type of pesticide.....are you sure it is? It doesn't seem like it is. Not saying you are wrong, just sounds kinda iffy to me.
What is the name of the license that you need to get to apply herbicides for your customers?
Old 07-22-2001, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A Commercial Pesticide Applicator License here in NJ. Each state has its own regulations so check with yours.

John,
A person who murders someone is usually not referred to as a pesticide, based on your definition