Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-08-2007, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Walker Mower Stripes?

I am considering purchasing a Walker Mower and I am wondering how well they stripe. Can you put a stripe kit on them? If anyone has any pictures of Walker stripes I would really like to see them.

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

A Walker mower stripes perfectly with no stripe kit needed. I REALLY kinda want a Walker, but they are just so damn expensive, even used, it ain't worth it for me. Plus they are just SOOOO S L O W.

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Old 03-08-2007, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

depends on what you are using them for. For postage stamp yards where you would you would use a mid size walk behind they are faster then the walk behind. Like i have said befor they have their place. They do stripe good depends what kinda of grass though how defined the stripes are. I like how they stripe fescue. Bermuda is not too bad but doesnt last long.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree, the Walkers are VERY expensive but currently I am just using 21's for most of my residential yards and I think that a walker would be my best choice. My dealer also told me about financing where you make payments for the six months out of the year that you are using it and don't make any payments in the winter. As soon as the grass starts to grow here I think I will go and demo one. Also I really like the Hi-dump feature and it seems like that would save A LOT of time.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What looks like a "burn" in the pic is actually a 6" hole dug by the dog. This was done by a 2004 Walker MTGHS 26hp EFI. No kit required to stripe, this is natural. I doubt you need one.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2007, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

hi dump is nice feature i just bought one but be careful if you have soft ground it adds around 150 to 160 pounds straight to the rear wheel. If you have never run a walker you wont really understand what i mean but you have to be alot more carful because front drive tires tend to spin and tear ground because you have alot of weight on the back. Dont get me wrong i love mine, but i have a 18 with the small hopper and it turns like a dam motor cycle compared to the bigger one also the bigger one also has the bigger bagger which when full can add alot more weight then my smaller unit. One is for bigger areas and one for smaller and yes they are very nice for small residentals.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclawncare View Post
hi dump is nice feature i just bought one but be careful if you have soft ground it adds around 150 to 160 pounds straight to the rear wheel. If you have never run a walker you wont really understand what i mean but you have to be alot more carful because front drive tires tend to spin and tear ground because you have alot of weight on the back. Dont get me wrong i love mine, but i have a 18 with the small hopper and it turns like a dam motor cycle compared to the bigger one also the bigger one also has the bigger bagger which when full can add alot more weight then my smaller unit. One is for bigger areas and one for smaller and yes they are very nice for small residentals.
The ditch, in the pic I posted, makes the yard, at the very right of the pic, slope down. Its so agrivating because thats where I would always get wheel slippage due to a full hopper. PC nailed a negative. If you get fed up and your not a race car driver on your mower get the AT tires... no wheel slippage there but if you mess up the yard gets messed (win some and loose some lol). Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclawncare View Post
hi dump is nice feature i just bought one but be careful if you have soft ground it adds around 150 to 160 pounds straight to the rear wheel. If you have never run a walker you wont really understand what i mean but you have to be alot more careful because front drive tires tend to spin and tear ground because you have alot of weight on the back. Dont get me wrong i love mine, but i have a 18 with the small hopper and it turns like a dam motor cycle compared to the bigger one also the bigger one also has the bigger bagger which when full can add alot more weight then my smaller unit. One is for bigger areas and one for smaller and yes they are very nice for small residentals.
The ditch, in the pic I posted, makes the yard, at the very right of the pic, slope down. Its so aggravating because thats where I would always get wheel slippage due to a full hopper. PC nailed a negative. If you get fed up and your not a race car driver on your mower get the AT tires... no wheel slippage there but if you mess up the yard gets messed (win some and loose some lol). Let me know if you have any questions.

sorry for the double post.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Wow, thanks for all the info so quick everybody.

Quote:
What looks like a "burn" in the pic is actually a 6" hole dug by the dog. This was done by a 2004 Walker MTGHS 26hp EFI. No kit required to stripe, this is natural. I doubt you need one.
Those stripes look really nice, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks

Quote:
I diddn't realize that it added that much weight, but most of my lawns are usually pretty dry and the ground isn't too soft so, on a normal day, it shouldn't be too big of a deal. That is definately good to know for after it rains though.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't like them at all I demoed a navigator (basically the same thing ) The back tire rips the grass very easy until you get use to it. I personally don't like the tire track from the back tire in the middle of the stripe. You can only bag w/ it unless you open the back (unsafe/ and ugly apperance on the lawn of laying grass) or change the deck. If you get a 36,42,48or 52 z and your other mower breaks you can alway take the bagger off ,very quick and easy to use it on your side discharge yards. I can't speak for walker but the navigator stopped up w/ grass very easily also. Just my 2 cents