Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2007, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Is this a good plan?

I am going to try and start my lawn business this year and am trying to get everything together to start the season.

This is my dilema. I want to have 10-15 customers before I even buy my equipment. Is that possible?

I currently have 2500 door hangers being delivered today hopefully. With this weekend in the high 50's I think customers will be ready to sign. Also I have 500 business cards already here ready to be given out to anyone that will take one. Thanks for any input
Old 03-09-2007, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just out of curiosity, let's see your door hangers. this will give an indicator of what the path is like you're traveling. Then, we can go from there.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think you'll have any problems at all getting 10-15 clients but the problem I do see is most people aren't going to call until just about the time they need the service so your going to be rushed on buying the equipment and if you wait too long you'll end up having to take whatever equipment is left.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I suppose if you are quick enough with your words, then you could get 10-15 clients without having any equipment. You had better plan on signing up all of those clients on the same day and having the equipment within the next two days though...
Old 03-09-2007, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

too early..

it is a little too early around here , wait a couple of weeks...... and dont forget before you get any business you need to register your busines name with the state, get liability insurance, get any local licenses that might be needed, and apply for a vendors license from the state of ohio, you need that to collect the sales tax you have to collect....and change your profile to 0 years in business

good luck
6 full time
Old 03-09-2007, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveintoledo View Post
it is a little too early around here , wait a couple of weeks...... and dont forget before you get any business you need to register your busines name with the state, get liability insurance, get any local licenses that might be needed, and apply for a vendors license from the state of ohio, you need that to collect the sales tax you have to collect....and change your profile to 0 years in business

good luck
hey dave I am in the process of the business registration just sent that in this past week and the vendors license. As for the insurance I am a few signatures away from that when i need to. I changed my profile for ya sorry about that.
Why do you say its too early. I have seen about 6 crews out preping beds and mulching. Any other advice? Thanks.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

wow...

we still have snow on the ground here... maybe not then...

actually i think its melting some as we speak...

sounds like you have a good start..... hope you have a great spring....
6 full time
Old 03-10-2007, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If nothing else go out and buy a small walkbehind 36", trimmer, blower to get started. What are you going to do if someone calls up and wants you to come out the same day or next day to do some work?? Tell them that you don't have any mowers???? that won't get you very far.