Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-09-2007, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Commercial Bids

Where does everyone find out who is accepting bids for the upcomeing season.Thanks
Old 03-09-2007, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Call and ask places
Old 03-09-2007, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You've been in business for 6 years and haven't figured out how to go about bidding on commercial properties yet?
Old 03-09-2007, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Member

come on wells.... if you dont have any help on the question then dont bother posting anything.... all i hate smart a**'s.... id like to know bigkyles question as well....
Old 03-09-2007, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

CoreyD, this is a question I would expect to be asked by a newbie not by someone with 6 years under their belt, unless those 6 years have all been mowing grandma's place.

Anyway to answer the question, most commercial accounts expire at the end of each season usually in November or December. Most commercial accounts will start accepting bids around late August or early September so that they can review the bids and have their decision out to the bidding companies sometime in October.

You may find some companies that wait until early spring to start looking for a lawn company but it's generally not the norm.

Most all companies will accept bids on a yearly basis or bi-yearly, just depends on the contract. If there are commercial properties that you would like to submit a bid on just call them up and ask when they start accepting bids and let them know you are interested in submitting, sometimes they even have a list that they will place your name on and they'll contact you when it's time to bid, it's that simple.

Commercial peoperties owners will want the whole package so be prepaired to provde it, ie: lawn maintenance, fertilization, weed control, pruning, sprinkler repairs and adjustments, and in most cases snow removal. Also be prepaired to provide proof of liability insurance, business license, workmans comp, pesticide certification etc.

Last edited by Wells; 03-09-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hey, I don't think it's a dump question. I've been in business 4 years and am still pretty unclear on bidding. some company's don't take bids at all, some want set monthly prices and some want per cut prices. The best thing is to ask, but it can be very intimidating. Some company's/ towns send me bid requests.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells View Post
You've been in business for 6 years and haven't figured out how to go about bidding on commercial properties yet?
I have been in this business for 6 years but not one of them were on my own so don't come in here with your smart remarks. All i asked was for a answer to a ? if you dont want to answer it thats fine just don't post.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkyle View Post
I have been in this business for 6 years but not one of them were on my own so don't come in here with your smart remarks. All i asked was for a answer to a ? if you dont want to answer it thats fine just don't post.
If you stop and read for a second you'll realize that i'm the only one that actually answered you question, and in-depth detail as well.

As for your profile it says you've been in business for 6 years. That doesn't mean how long have you worked for someone else in this business.

Last edited by Wells; 03-09-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells View Post
If you stop and read for a second you'll realize that i'm the only one that actually answered you question, and in-depth detail as well.

As for your profile it says you've been in business for 6 years. That doesn't mean how long have you worked for someone else in this business.

who is to say that it is only meant for the people who own there own business. Every time i go into a topic to read there are always people makeing smart comments and after a while its not funny anymore
Old 03-09-2007, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not here to argue with you, it's very unproductive.

In the user profile it states "years in business" not "years in the business".
Yours says you've been "in business" for 6 years and so when you asked the question about how to find out about commercial bids it came across as a newbie question, not a question from an experienced LCO with 6 business experience.

In the future be honest and don't claim to be something your not, you are a new business owner with 6 years of past experience. With that experience under your belt you should do very well starting your own business, good luck this season.