Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2007, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Serious question, no offense to anyone, just want thoughts...

I'm not looking to bash anyone, I think learning here is awesome for everyone, but I have a question, more on the philosophical side for ya...

Assume you wanted to start a plumbing (or other) business, but had zero to little experience plumbing and planned on running and at least initially working in the business. Would you approach an actual plumber or go to say plumbersite.com and ask how to underbid other plumbers so you could get accounts and start your company? What do you think the reaction would be if you did? Also mention to them that you don't htink there's all that much to plumbing so you'd have no problem. I don't think I would do it, but that's me. What would you do and expect? Again, I repeat, no offense to anyone, I'm seriously curious about what everyone thinks about that and I expect varied responses.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think this site is AWESOME!!!!

I can understand how some of you guys get irritated by some of the questions and comments from newbies like me and others. However, you gotta try and put yourself in our shoes some time. Try to remember back to when you started and you lacked knowledge. If you think about it, it is the same problem that elementary and secondary school teachers have to consider every day while teaching their students. Also, you have to remember that I'm sure a lot of people who join this site are here cuz it's the flavor of the week for them. They may never even start an LCO. However, there are people like me who spend hours a day behind a computer at work monitoring a lobby for a financial firm with not much elso to do (part time job for college til I get the business going) - why not gain insightful knowledge for my business. Now dont get me wrong, there is no excuse for lowballing and not having insurance for the sake of starting a business with little start-up money I have started mine with a pickup truck, an old commercial mower, and I have figured out a way to buy the rest of my equipment from profits from spring cleanup and mulching. I only had about three grand to start, which includes the money to buy a truck, and I'm still legal and fully legit. When the time comes, if I lose an account to some guy workin for beer money I'll be angry too. Some comments on here are funny, even when they're negatively directed at me, and sometimes people just need to chill out. There is one member I can particularly think of that seems brilliant. Most everything he writes seems to be well-thought, logical, strategic, etc... but he has a tendency to be unneccesarily condescending to others. Right now I cannot answer your question from the perspective your looking for,that of an experienced LCO, but I think when the time comes I'm not gonna give comments like you wrote about a second thought. There is just no way someone with the kinda attitude your talking about can successfully compete with an established LCO. Just my 2 cents
Old 03-09-2007, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its really not right. Not right at all, but theres nothin we can do about it. So were just going to have to deal with it. Sad to say, but im just accepting it. Ive already seen about 10-15 new lco's around here, and they all have homeowner equipment and riding tractors. But i know they will be gone by july, cuz they cant take the heat.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 03-09-2007, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

dont forget the July rush..

when all the part timers quit, or there crap breaks down, and my phone starts ringing off the hook.....

plumber, id look at him , laugh out loud, and go back to sweating pipes.....
6 full time
Old 03-09-2007, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi ecoscape, I hope that didn't sound irritated, I really just wanted people to look at this from another perspective is all and much appreciated is the well thoght out reply.

Texas dude- thanks for your reply too, new co's don't bother me, it's the ones that think they can just walk right in and be successful w/o knowing anything about plants, pesticides, equipment, customers, employees, and so on. I'm not saying people can't start from the ground up, it's just not as easy as some seem to think. Ideally there would be enforced licensing (= more$ for us!).
Old 03-09-2007, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yes! i agree. but really around here, ive seen these guys work, and its horrible, and they come in behind companys like mine, and way under bid. so its a real pain. i started with commercial equipment and found out what the going rate was. i never under cut anyone, (atleast i dont think i did), i did it the right way, and i dont think any of the new ones around here are. but thats just perception. i could be way off.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Since this is at the heart of this matter, I alluded to this in another thread. Living in an affluent area as I do and with a focus on the wealthy neighborhoods, my plan was to charge a 35 dollar minimum. Sure my equip is used and my truck is old but what the hell does that matter as long as I do a good job and the customer is satisfied after I leave. I think that might have a lot to do with why people lowball but the heck with that! My truck is a gas hog and I gotta buy new equipment and lowballin aint gonna help me. Not hijackin but just an idea as to why people do - spoken from a newbie with a small budget
Old 03-09-2007, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

im so proud...weve reached someone!! im gettin a little teary...

Old 03-09-2007, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Boy am I going to step in it here, but heck here it goes.

We are all here for only one thing-MAKE A BUCK- feed the family, earn exta$$, don't really matter but just make money. I fully understand how everyone feels about ruining the market with the expectation of low prices.

Here is the hard truth we are just lawn jockeys to people thats it nothing more. Some may be "certified in this or that" but that is just about it. Stop comparing us to plumbers, mechanics, etc... we are not needed like those professions are. As far as lowballing what all is complaining about is the ramifications of lower paid jobs, but how many here would pay what you want to get to do your lawn? Not many. Actually it is free enterprise.

I don't worry if some one is 5-10-15 dollars cheaper than me I work and make my money, and if I'm cheaper than someone else tough, my bills are paid.

Hope everyone has a successfull year
Old 03-09-2007, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Member

This is my first year in this industry, I am starting with a mixture of commercial and residential equipment. I posted what I thought was a good price in another forum and found out that it was too cheap. So I rewrote all my flyers and I'm sure I won't get some accounts do to experience and I' m fine with this but, I will never lowball someone else I will demand what the current market is at. I will upgrade my equipment asap, until then I will beat the streets until I get the number of accounts I want for this season. I'm new and I don't want to see lowballers but, this is part of life.Probably not the response your looking for but, this is my 2cents.