Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2007, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Would this work for a starter trailer?

I don't need anything real big yet but I would like something that I could use to haul some mulch and remove trash from spring cleaning. I could use some high grade steel L-brackets and plywood for the sides and the front but I wonder about being able to attach a hinged gate for equipment. I don't know what the GVW is yet. I still gotta call the guy but any suggestions would be great
Old 03-09-2007, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

No

for gods sake buy a freaking trailor...... , you will look like a real looser.....is this something that already exists or that you want to build....you have to look at these things as investments, not liabilities

if you dont have the money to get into business, sorry , but get a job instead.....
6 full time
Old 03-09-2007, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Right????????????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveintoledo View Post
for gods sake buy a freaking trailor...... , you will look like a real looser.....is this something that already exists or that you want to build....you have to look at these things as investments, not liabilities

if you dont have the money to get into business, sorry , but get a job instead.....
Or I can just have my mulch delivered and make a few extra trips when removing trash from spring cleaning and wait till I have the money for a trailer but THANKS FOR THE CONSTRUCTIVE ADVICE DAVE - GO TAKE A HAPPY PILL
Old 03-09-2007, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

no wait...

so how do you get your mowers around, dont you need a trailor for that...your not using the trunk of a car are you.... i mean come on man.... you have to act and look like a successful business man, even if your jsut starting out.....no one will take you seriously if you look like fred sanford.....
6 full time
Old 03-09-2007, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dude I'm startin out small on residentials. I don't need any more than my 36" and a 21" and my handhelds. i'm gonna use the bed of my truck. And after every job, I will invest what ever I can into whatever equipment I don't have and need and can afford... A lot of the "advise" in your posts is the same..................if you don't have this............and you don't have that...........keep your day job.....blah....blah....blah.......I'm not sayin your wrong. I'm not one of those people lookin to read what I wanna read......Just the way your messages come across
Old 03-09-2007, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The cheapest readily available trailers I know of are the folding units at Bi-mart, K-mart or some of the other box stores. The're very light duty but would get you by for awhile. Around 200 bucks or so. Do you have Thrifty Nickle type ad papers in your area? A lot of good deals can be found in these types of classifieds.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been lookin and I will continue to keep my eye out. I looked at one of those folding units and I think it had like an 1800lb capacity which I was hoping for more. The one I looked at in the price range you were talking was also a 5x8, the same size as the one in this thread. I'll keep lookin for a deal.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveintoledo View Post
...your not using the trunk of a car are you.... i mean come on man....
Sorry to get off topic here but this reminds me of something I witnessed about 2 years ago.

I'm working in a cul-de-sac and up pulls this car across the street. The guy gets out, throws the trunk open and pulls out a 21" mower and proceeds to mow the lawn. I was kicking myself for not having a camera on hand but then it got even better.

As the guy finished up mowing the lawn he went over to the car opened the rear door and pulled out his electric trimmer and 100 foot extension cord, then pluged into the clients house and began trimming the yard.

Needless to say I only saw the guy in the neighborhood that one week, moral of the story is: don't let your appearance and presentation hold you back.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well sadly I admit that originally I was going to do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells View Post
Sorry to get off topic here but this reminds me of something I witnessed about 2 years ago.

I'm working in a cul-de-sac and up pulls this car across the street. The guy gets out, throws the trunk open and pulls out a 21" mower and proceeds to mow the lawn. I was kicking myself for not having a camera on hand but then it got even better.

As the guy finished up mowing the lawn he went over to the car opened the rear door and pulled out his electric trimmer and 100 foot extension cord, then pluged into the clients house and began trimming the yard.

Needless to say I only saw the guy in the neighborhood that one week, moral of the story is: don't let your appearance and presentation hold you back.
Then I dedicated some serious thought to the concept and realized how stupid I would look and how embarassed I would feel. Hence, I now have a truck
Old 03-09-2007, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecoscape01 View Post
Hence, I now have a truck
How do you get your mower into the back of the truck? Are you using ramps?