Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2007, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveintoledo View Post
for gods sake buy a freaking trailor...... , you will look like a real looser.....is this something that already exists or that you want to build....you have to look at these things as investments, not liabilities

if you dont have the money to get into business, sorry , but get a job instead.....
Funny discouragements...lol! If the man knows how to build a trailer and save some $, don't hate, congradulate! There's nothing wrong with lookin' a bit rough at first as long as u give great service! Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

sounds right....

you got the right plan i think, if you just do what you have to and get the money rolling in, go out and get a trailor....get one bigger then you think you need, because you will prpbably grow by next year and need more room....

just be careful man, alot of people get hurt getting the mowers up on the truck..... i tried it and about lost my butt........
6 full time
Old 03-10-2007, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ya I'm gonna use ramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeandia View Post
How do you get your mower into the back of the truck? Are you using ramps?
The guy I bought it from used ramps made out of 2x8's with these metal attachments that fit over the end of board and screwed into each board with a 6 inch lip to fit snugly over the tailgate. A little hard to describe but you can buy em at any hardware store. I'm also gonna epoxy a strip of rubber onto the tailgate so that the ramps dont slip. I don't think finding a safe set-up for getting the mower on and off the truck bed should really be that much of a problem. I definitely don't wanna do it any longer than I have to though.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Ecoscape01
Your just like me just a pickup and ramps, you can do this this should be the year for me to be able to buy a trailer, but i've been using my truck for three years.
2010 Enclosed 8.5x20 Trailer
And everything else that goes along with a lawn and landscape operation
Old 03-10-2007, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

you have an 08 super duty but no trailer??

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 03-10-2007, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

you have an 08 super duty but no trailer??

I was thinking the same thing.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is just a part time thing till I see how this whole LC thing works out. and the 08 was first on the list.
2010 Enclosed 8.5x20 Trailer
And everything else that goes along with a lawn and landscape operation
Old 03-11-2007, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

interesting...you havent seen how things work in three years??!

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 03-11-2007, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No man, the Wb weighs no less than 300 and up to 500 pounds, depending on deck configuration (fixed vs. float), the incline leading up to a truck bed is a lot steeper than a trailer ramp (due to the height of the bed) and all it takes is a wheel or tire slip and that mower comes crashing down and you're somewhere close by, it is a dangerous proposition at best.

I think you might take the criticism with a grain of salt and read between the lines, you really would be better off working your job for another year and saving up all the money for next year, because I foresee another 'well at least I tried' scenario, but that's just me.

Either way you decide, sorry for the harsh words and I respect your decision and wish you the best of luck, and I mean this sincerely and regardless.

Last edited by topsites; 03-11-2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecoscape01 View Post
I don't need anything real big yet but I would like something that I could use to haul some mulch and remove trash from spring cleaning. I could use some high grade steel L-brackets and plywood for the sides and the front but I wonder about being able to attach a hinged gate for equipment. I don't know what the GVW is yet. I still gotta call the guy but any suggestions would be great

I think setting some goals would be a good start. Some questions you need to ask yourself: how long do I intend on being in the business? Will I make enough money to support myself and my business comfortably?

I've been in the mowing business 5 years, this year starting my 6th. I started out with a single-axle, 14' trailer. Nothing fancy at all, just added a few toolboxes. Then I stepped up to a double-axle, 16' trailer. A big step up, with more toolboxes, a spring-assisted fold down ramp, and my dad and I built a home-made weed-eater (trimmer) rack. About a week ago, I stepped up to an 8'x20' enclosed trailer. It is more expensive, but I am now able to leave me trailer outside, without worry of anyone stealing equipment and also keeping everything out of the weather.

Depending on your goals, you may want to consider purchasing a small trailer to start out with, maybe even a small, landscaping trailer that has the 4' - 6' side walls.

Also, you will want a trailer that will carry EVERYTHING you need. Consider all the equipment you have, your financial situation, and buy a trailer that will carry everything. Why go to work and be unprepared?! Good luck to you and your upcoming venture into the mowing/lanscaping business.

Blake Lohse
Lohse's Lawn Service