Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-25-2010, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbster View Post
Nice ....I think they are going to check all the lawn guys for weedkiller/fert and insurance ....super nice! ...stop the illegals !
That's not gunna happen. I got inspected last year and I asked how they go about enforcing the laws for fert. He said they have ohio split in like 5 zones, one inspector in each zone yet they're all based out of Columbus, so they only go out once in awhile, drive around for the day and if they see people with spreaders/sprayers they stop them. Just happened he was in my hood that day and saw me with 2 sprayers on the truck. He actually told ME to do his job and if i know of anyone illegal to tell them. I asked what they do to illegals. "Oh we try to point them in the right direction, we can't do anything legally until they harm someone" WOW!!! So why am I spending the money and going every 3 years to get recerted?!?!

Same thing with that BS landscape stock license. The $125 one just to allow you to go buy plants and install them. I asked that guy how they enforce it, same situation, but they'll take the plants if they catch you and you have to pay a 50 dollar fine. I straight up told the guy I'll take my chances that you don't find me. I'm not about to pay 125 for a bogus license that doesnt get enforced. When I suggested they make it to where you have to have the license to buy the plants in the first place he said they can't, that's illegal because a place can't refuse to sell to you. BS!
Old 07-25-2010, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The thing that gets me about all these licenses, is the fact that your paying to be regulated. If you dont have a fert license, your not regulated, your not on the map so to speak. same with the nursery stock one, if you have it, you have to keep logs of what you use, inspect the plants, report any issues you see with the plants, and if the plant has issues after install. And they'll inspect you on those records. Yet you don't pay, and you'll never be checked for those things.

I'm all about regulation, but a portion of the fees are suppossed to go towards enforcement, just like hunting licenses pay rangers to stop people and make sure they have them. Yet in our industry it's all messed up
Old 07-25-2010, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i was at those seminairs with Kurt and heard all the same stuff. even our state government thinks this field is a joke and wont enforce their own laws.

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Old 07-25-2010, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Kurt on vacation and on lawnsite, WTF?

Old 07-26-2010, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just wondering if the size of strap on the rider is to be a certain size. I was told the zero turn strap needs to be at least 4inches in width.

Thanks,

JP
Old 07-26-2010, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2006 View Post
That's not gunna happen. I got inspected last year and I asked how they go about enforcing the laws for fert. He said they have ohio split in like 5 zones, one inspector in each zone yet they're all based out of Columbus, so they only go out once in awhile, drive around for the day and if they see people with spreaders/sprayers they stop them. Just happened he was in my hood that day and saw me with 2 sprayers on the truck. He actually told ME to do his job and if i know of anyone illegal to tell them. I asked what they do to illegals. "Oh we try to point them in the right direction, we can't do anything legally until they harm someone" WOW!!! So why am I spending the money and going every 3 years to get recerted?!?!

Same thing with that BS landscape stock license. The $125 one just to allow you to go buy plants and install them. I asked that guy how they enforce it, same situation, but they'll take the plants if they catch you and you have to pay a 50 dollar fine. I straight up told the guy I'll take my chances that you don't find me. I'm not about to pay 125 for a bogus license that doesnt get enforced. When I suggested they make it to where you have to have the license to buy the plants in the first place he said they can't, that's illegal because a place can't refuse to sell to you. BS!
WOW ....and the state is trying to find ways to generate Money
I can see the issue of pointing them in the right direction, they need to fine these grass guys that are not legal to spray. That will make them get legal. Shoot ...can the state handle the liability of the fact they wait till someone gets poisoned or die, how about an entire town's water supply is tainted. ...things to ponder !
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2006 View Post
The thing that gets me about all these licenses, is the fact that your paying to be regulated. If you dont have a fert license, your not regulated, your not on the map so to speak. same with the nursery stock one, if you have it, you have to keep logs of what you use, inspect the plants, report any issues you see with the plants, and if the plant has issues after install. And they'll inspect you on those records. Yet you don't pay, and you'll never be checked for those things.

I'm all about regulation, but a portion of the fees are suppossed to go towards enforcement, just like hunting licenses pay rangers to stop people and make sure they have them. Yet in our industry it's all messed up
They can make 4 times the salary of an agent in Miami County alone. Every Tom, Dick and Harry is spraying lawns and spraying for weeds and laugh at you if you ask them about license. It pisses me off to no end. A buddy/co-worker mows lawns and had the nerve to ask me questions about spraying and I let him have it. I told him to get certified to do fert and he said why! I will ask someone else or get the information from JDL.
I think our worst threat is the people who sells the chemicals, they will help anybody as long as it's a sale....Rant over !

Find your post count in Bumpville:
http://www.lawnsite.com/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=180628
Old 07-26-2010, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpp View Post
I searched lawncare,lawn care, landscape, land scape and only found little crap on it. I even looked again last night. My eyes are so tired of looking at it I am giving them a break until mid week. maybe I am staring right at the stuff and do not even know it.

Well, I am all set for another week. Sharpened blades today, changed blades today. Replaced the air filters on the mowers. But I still need to do the oil this week. Maybe that will be the Friday job for me. Unless we get a rain out day here then I will be cutting on Friday. I think I am going to bed early tonight, I feel beat for some reason and I did not even enjoy any cold beverages this weekend. Took the weekend off of doing that even.
I looked and read a ton of useless information, can't find anything. I will let you know if I do.

Find your post count in Bumpville:
http://www.lawnsite.com/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=180628
Old 07-28-2010, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpp View Post
Just wondering if the size of strap on the rider is to be a certain size. I was told the zero turn strap needs to be at least 4inches in width.

Thanks,

JP
you need to check the weight rating on them and it must be high enough to hold them down.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARK LAWN View Post
you need to check the weight rating on them and it must be high enough to hold them down.
Thanks. I can't believe I did not think of that. Maybe the hit on the head earlier this week did more damage then I thought.

Check this out: Scam???

http://columbus.craigslist.org/bfs/1870797698.html
Old 07-29-2010, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hey guys, selling equipment.

Look at the marketplace... its business/equipment sale
Posted via Mobile Device