Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-02-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The issue isn't being in debt it's valuing yourself too little. If I wanted to make 15-20 an hour I'd go work at the steel mills. I run my own business and with that comes perks and higher pay rate than just being a lacky. You can do fuzzy math all you want and profit $60 an hour because you have no debt, but then come back to reality and see that all the non billable hours shoot your prices down.

Lets take your $10 gate drop instance outlander, you made $10 in 5 minutes that's good money...once or twice a year when a neighbor asks you to do their place. I do regular places that take 5 minutes and charge them $30, you probably think that's stupid and think why would he do that. I say why not. Your person that you charged 10 bucks, how many other $10 lawns came from it and how many viable long term customers you'll retire on came from it?

Not trying to be a prick, just saying too many people would rather say "I only charge this much and have THIS MUCH work." I'd rather say I charge THIS MUCH and have this much work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I see where your coming from kc the less work you have the better payoff you have while on the other hand have more work at less money. I charge anyway where $25-30 minimum because anything less it ain't worth it. Unless it like weedwacking a devil strip once or twice a week. Cause im not there long and its ok money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2006 View Post
The issue isn't being in debt it's valuing yourself too little. If I wanted to make 15-20 an hour I'd go work at the steel mills. I run my own business and with that comes perks and higher pay rate than just being a lacky. You can do fuzzy math all you want and profit $60 an hour because you have no debt, but then come back to reality and see that all the non billable hours shoot your prices down.

Lets take your $10 gate drop instance outlander, you made $10 in 5 minutes that's good money...once or twice a year when a neighbor asks you to do their place. I do regular places that take 5 minutes and charge them $30, you probably think that's stupid and think why would he do that. I say why not. Your person that you charged 10 bucks, how many other $10 lawns came from it and how many viable long term customers you'll retire on came from it?

Not trying to be a prick, just saying too many people would rather say "I only charge this much and have THIS MUCH work." I'd rather say I charge THIS MUCH and have this much work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Amen! Outlander is from Canton, he's used to $10 mowings lol. Guess that's big money to him! Give me a break. Some people get it, some don't.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTLANDER View Post
Dont you mean people would rather cheap out looking for good service than pay HIGH prices because some certain LCO's are in over their head in debt?......I mean how can you put a price line out there, really?. I price my jobs accordingly. If you really are experienced as you think then you can honestly make profit by caculating the cost of any specific job you're doing right?................weather it be $15 or $50. I've dropped my gate for $10 before which took maybe 5 minutes a, and got so much more work from this particular customer since then.......Hope you all have a good season
Didn't realize you were my accountant or knew my finances.

Maybe if you moved out of your mommies basement you would realize that mowing ANYTHING for $10 is a joke. I charge a neighbor of one of my customers that much to blow their drive and walk off every week when I mow my customers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mowing is a joke anymore.. I wouldn't even drop a turd for 10$ anymore.. The cost of equipment, gas, labor, insurance is rediculous now a days. 30$ is my minimum and I'm picky about the lawns I take on anymore. I'd rather be out pushing for 4-5000$ landscaping jobs.. What's 20-30$ when you can pul 3-5000$ in big installs in two days.. Quit looking at the petty stuff and look at the big stuff if you want to make money, anyone with a push mower and trimmer can cut lawns, it doesn't take a rocket scientist!
Old 04-02-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Lol you don't even drop a turd for $10. That's hilarious.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2013, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARK LAWN View Post
Didn't realize you were my accountant or knew my finances.

Maybe if you moved out of your mommies basement you would realize that mowing ANYTHING for $10 is a joke. I charge a neighbor of one of my customers that much to blow their drive and walk off every week when I mow my customers.
Posted via Mobile Device
what kind of quality do you offer if you're out there blowing grass on neighbors property
Old 04-03-2013, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney3223 View Post
Amen! Outlander is from Canton, he's used to $10 mowings lol. Guess that's big money to him! Give me a break. Some people get it, some don't.
Hope you didnt get into landscaping, or in your case lawn mowing thinking you were gonna make big money at it
Old 04-03-2013, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2006 View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
I do understand your point and agree some, in some cases. For the most part however, loyalty and honesty with the work i do goes much further than just the furtunes im gaining. I stay honest to my customers and it usually goes a fullcircle. With that said, its not the guys you are worried about that are out there competing with your work or even outdoing your work for less. Its actually yourself you're afraid of because maybe you're on that threshhold of your own customers not trusting you that much.........NOT saying you in particular, just saying some of these errogant azzes out here that think they know it all and never have nothing good to say to or about any competition
Old 04-03-2013, 02:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just stating my point here is all. I truly dont care what others do and encourage some of these people to continue as it will keep me busy...hahahaha In the past i worked for some companies (doing estimates/bidding jobs, landscaping, thats what i did) as well as bidding some potential jobs of my own, where i laughed at the previous company's work and estimates giving to these people...........................Now i will charge what my service is worth, which is probably more than most of the little cocky, complaining lco's that are commenting on here. But just saying, I will not run anyone thru the ringer to keep my wallet fat