Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-16-2014, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

That's what I have mini skids for.. More work less labor. My mulch bucket holds over a yard at a time!
Old 03-16-2014, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey guys just throwing it out there. I'm in Youngstown/austintown area... I'm networking with a few landscapers locally this spring. I bought a ride on hydro aerator and I'd like to work with guys locally on aerations as we can do it fast and easy.. We will do your aerations for roughly half of what you charge.. You bill the customer and ill deal with you. Most yards around here are 80-100$ front and back on an average city lot.. We would do them for you for 40-50$.. Win win on both sides and you don't have to overwork yourself or your workers.. Main reason I'm doing this is to put this expensive aerator to work.. Bigger yards we can discuss price.. But figure this. You have to pay for gas and your workers so either way its a plus to just have us help you out. You have no maintnance costs and have no labor costs... If interested pm me your name and number and I will give you a ring! Thanks Phil
Old 03-18-2014, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fannin76 View Post
How old are you? What type of shop did you go to?
Posted via Mobile Device
18. I started last season when I was 17. I bought some used equipment off Craigslist that works great but I'm looking to upgrade. Shops I've tried include:
  • Akron Lawn and Garden (They were okay)
  • Akron Tractor (Everyone I know recommends them, but they were jerks)
  • J&K Lawn Equipment (Lied to me about the condition of some items)
  • Beltz (The one I'm happiest with)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2006 View Post
Soft profiting $31 per yard installed will bite you in the a$$ when you hit your late 20's and your body is junk. I say soft profit because that 31 doesn't include fuel, equipment, maintenance on equipment, insurance, advertising, taxes, office costs, so what did you really make? $5-10 bucks maybe for an hour to spread a yard of mulch.

I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to open your eyes. Don't fall for the prey most lawn jockeys think, "Oh I have alot of work I have to be making more money!" NO, charge more work less, then you have more money.
You're right, I didn't think of it that way. Odds are though people will just laugh at me around here. I do leaves at $25/man hour (2 people with me, who I pay $10/hr) and I get laughed out of jobs quite a bit.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Cooper View Post
I do, unfortunately. I don't have much overhead so it works okay for me. I've tried charging more but people expect me to work for peanuts since I'm young. It took me 4 different stops to find a good dealer because of this, too. One dealership treated me like I was stupid the whole time, and lied to me about the condition of his products, trying to sell used and repaired ones as new.
I have the same problem man. I'm 20 and 10-20 minutes away from you depending on what part of Akron you're in. I have 3 neighbors who ask me to do their yard every year and every year I decline because I know they aren't going to pay me much more than half of what the market value for mowing their lawns are. Two of them are $40 lawns, the other is a $30 and they would probably pay me a $20 max per lawn. It's a tough business when you're young and like you said, they expect you to work for peanuts.

-----------------------------------
My Equipment:
2011 F-150 Ecoboost(Work Truck)
2012 Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale(Daily Driver)
2015 Pace-American 7x16 Enclosed Trailer
2014 American Mfg 6x10 High Side Utility Trailer
Old 03-18-2014, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffH1 View Post
I have the same problem man. I'm 20 and 10-20 minutes away from you depending on what part of Akron you're in. I have 3 neighbors who ask me to do their yard every year and every year I decline because I know they aren't going to pay me much more than half of what the market value for mowing their lawns are. Two of them are $40 lawns, the other is a $30 and they would probably pay me a $20 max per lawn. It's a tough business when you're young and like you said, they expect you to work for peanuts.
South Akron, so not very far. I've had a lot of people turn me down in my neighborhood expecting $15-$20 lawns. I do cut for one guy for cheap when he's in a pinch since he doesn't have time or money (his infant daughter is dying from a heart condition). Other than that, I only have one account in my neighborhood.

On the bright side, I just got a call this year from a guy I gave an estimate to last season, asking for me to take over his lawn since his last CHEAP guy did such a terrible job.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You guys just have to go in and look professional when you're young. People joked that I looked like I was 30 when I was 18 so the youth thing didn't get me back in the day. I did show up with a nice truck that was lettered, polo embroidered shirt, all printed on the spot estimates (best 150 I ever spent was on a mobile printer). That and be confident about yourself, if you go in thinking people are looking down on you for your age you'll clam up and not be able to talk easy and sell the job.

People suck on the fact that they don't hire their neighbors, it's always cracked me up how that works. When I lived at my parents I didn't have crap in the neighborhood. Since I moved out years ago I now have 14 there. Just weird how it works.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2014, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2006 View Post
You guys just have to go in and look professional when you're young. People joked that I looked like I was 30 when I was 18 so the youth thing didn't get me back in the day. I did show up with a nice truck that was lettered, polo embroidered shirt, all printed on the spot estimates (best 150 I ever spent was on a mobile printer). That and be confident about yourself, if you go in thinking people are looking down on you for your age you'll clam up and not be able to talk easy and sell the job.

People suck on the fact that they don't hire their neighbors, it's always cracked me up how that works. When I lived at my parents I didn't have crap in the neighborhood. Since I moved out years ago I now have 14 there. Just weird how it works.
Posted via Mobile Device
I wear polos and khaki's while giving estimates, and am ordering some for work from Queensboro. I do have carbon copy estimate sheets, but never thought of a mobile printer. Thanks for the great idea!
Old 03-19-2014, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Member

What kind of mobile printer do you use?

-----------------------------------
My Equipment:
2011 F-150 Ecoboost(Work Truck)
2012 Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale(Daily Driver)
2015 Pace-American 7x16 Enclosed Trailer
2014 American Mfg 6x10 High Side Utility Trailer
Old 03-20-2014, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's an older HP, I bought it probably 5-7 years ago as a refurb on ebay, I'm not sure what the new mobiles go for.

It's always worked well for me, for one it's nice to hand over a printed estimate instead of hand written and it allows you to really put them on the spot to sign a contract and pay instead of shopping around.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Kurt you ready to start working. I seen you on mahoning today..