Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-10-2007, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
That would work LOL

Working around the shop again today, have 3 meeting all cut up with no real time to do any thing. Going to do clean ups tomrrow.

Going to run this ad, its going to hit 85,000 House holds + 3 online.
What do you guys think?
Clapper- How much is that costing you, and also how large is the ad going to be and what part of the paper is it in? Looking to do something similar in Cincinnati, not sure about cost. Thanks man!
Old 04-11-2007, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpp View Post
Drew and Josh,

I was thinking per mower bag on the charge, is that correct?

Thanks,

JP
Yes that is correct per mower bag.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Uggghhh!!!! I hate this weather!!! It is April, temps are in the upper 30's, mid 40's pouring rain, snow a few days ago, now half of the plants and junk are dead and grass cutting is pushed back. So this blows the biggie!!!! The lowballers are running rampant with the 10 dollar grass cutting thing that my county is doing. Here, I will give you guys the scoop. A good portion of my area, Lake County, is senior citizens (55 and up) Now dont get me wrong, I dont try to rip off the old folks cause that just isnt right. But I also am not gonna do their landscaping/maint. for free either!!! And alot of those seniors are on fixed incomes and some cant do their own yard work. So now the seniors association has set up for the seniors that are 60 and over, no matter what their financial situation is, and need their grass cut, for 10 friggin dollars!!!!! A lowballer's dream come true!!!! And that 10 bucks is for lawns up to a 1/2 an acre!!! So alot of the lowballers around here have been going buck wild with this, and I have been seeing more and more trucks running around with lawnmowers in the bed than ever before. This is getting so bad up here with this now. And the state govt or the fed govt isnt giving any tax breaks for doing this or giving them money for it. I am not sure how they even did this. One of my buddies that has a bigger LCO with 6 maintenance crews has now lost 52 accounts because of this!!!! I lost 2, and I have heard varying numbers from other REAL LCO's. So now, the rest of us are left with the higher end people to try to go after and other commercial properties. And the area was saturated badly before, now it is gonna be 100% pure cut throat now. In some areas, it is damn near impossible to sell a $25 dollar cutting job, much less anything else!!! I have a few good higher end customers, and one comercial that pay very well, and I am gonna hang on to them tooth and nail!!! I think after this year, we will see what happens up here with this 10 dollar bullsh** and the lowballer's rampage that the county is letting happen!!!! After this year, I may be relocating somewhere else that isnt so "gay". Possibly even out of Ohio!!!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The add is as shown. It will be in 3 news papers, and hit 85,000 homes. The cost is something like $160.00

I have some other sweet ads that I run if you guys need ideas.

Ron Clapper
Clapper & Company
Lawn Care & Landscaping
Snow & Ice Management
Old 04-11-2007, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydenstricker Landscaping View Post
Uggghhh!!!! I hate this weather!!! It is April, temps are in the upper 30's, mid 40's pouring rain, snow a few days ago, now half of the plants and junk are dead and grass cutting is pushed back. So this blows the biggie!!!! The lowballers are running rampant with the 10 dollar grass cutting thing that my county is doing. Here, I will give you guys the scoop. A good portion of my area, Lake County, is senior citizens (55 and up) Now dont get me wrong, I dont try to rip off the old folks cause that just isnt right. But I also am not gonna do their landscaping/maint. for free either!!! And alot of those seniors are on fixed incomes and some cant do their own yard work. So now the seniors association has set up for the seniors that are 60 and over, no matter what their financial situation is, and need their grass cut, for 10 friggin dollars!!!!! A lowballer's dream come true!!!! And that 10 bucks is for lawns up to a 1/2 an acre!!! So alot of the lowballers around here have been going buck wild with this, and I have been seeing more and more trucks running around with lawnmowers in the bed than ever before. This is getting so bad up here with this now. And the state govt or the fed govt isnt giving any tax breaks for doing this or giving them money for it. I am not sure how they even did this. One of my buddies that has a bigger LCO with 6 maintenance crews has now lost 52 accounts because of this!!!! I lost 2, and I have heard varying numbers from other REAL LCO's. So now, the rest of us are left with the higher end people to try to go after and other commercial properties. And the area was saturated badly before, now it is gonna be 100% pure cut throat now. In some areas, it is damn near impossible to sell a $25 dollar cutting job, much less anything else!!! I have a few good higher end customers, and one comercial that pay very well, and I am gonna hang on to them tooth and nail!!! I think after this year, we will see what happens up here with this 10 dollar bullsh** and the lowballer's rampage that the county is letting happen!!!! After this year, I may be relocating somewhere else that isnt so "gay". Possibly even out of Ohio!!!!!
I was in Eastlake city hall yesterday and saw the flyers for that service on the counter. I've come to find out, that they are in every senior citizens center in Lake County. I service 2 properties on route 84 in Willoughby. Had them for almost 10 years. 45 and 50 per cut. They both informed me they are going with the 10 dollar service, and could I match it??? but the one mentioned I could still do her mulch and shrubs!!!!

This needs more investigation...
Old 04-12-2007, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, this definatly needs more investigation. It is hurting the real companies who are trying to make a living off of it, not just something to do. I gotta find more out about it. I havent seen any of the flyers yet, but Im sure soon enough I will. There is no way in hell I could match the 10 dollar cutting guys. Ugghhh!!
Old 04-12-2007, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Member

hey ohio guys,i need some info. where can i find lava boulders south of columbus. thanks,willie
Old 04-12-2007, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydenstricker Landscaping View Post
Yes, this definatly needs more investigation. It is hurting the real companies who are trying to make a living off of it, not just something to do. I gotta find more out about it. I havent seen any of the flyers yet, but Im sure soon enough I will. There is no way in hell I could match the 10 dollar cutting guys. Ugghhh!!
I'll cut the grass for $10.00. But then it will be another $10 to trim, and another $10 to blow off the drive. Package deals only. lol
Old 04-12-2007, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, I just heard possibly 1 to 3 inches of snow on Saturday night for us. Man I wish that 80 degrees weather we had a week ago was still here. Lawns have slowed down quite a bit. Might be going to every 10 days especially if we get that snow they are calling for. On the plus side at least it will be nice on Friday so I can finish gong by the last route.

JP
Old 04-12-2007, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Member

behind already

with all this rain im still behind but will catch up the this week