Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-16-2007, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by botomwatcher View Post
Hello everyone. Just joined a few days ago. Thought I would introduce myself, My name is Brian ad I live in Central Ohio. Anyway, been in business for myself for two years now. About a month ago, I left corporate America behind due to too many issues with empty promises and disappointments. So I promoted myself to CEO an President. HAHAHA.... They can kiss my A$$. Anyone know any proven methods for getting new accounts and which form of advertising works best? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. As I walked away from a good paying job for a global company, I thought "what the hell are you doing?" But I stuck to my decision and am loving every day of it. Also, are there any quick contract templates available out there? And one last question, I feel I am underpricing the work I am doing, What is the going rate in Ohio this year? I do not want to be one of those guys low-balling anyone.

Thanks

Welcome to Lawnsite!

I am really close to you, I live in Baltimore (work in Baltimore, Lancaster, and Millersport).
Word of Mouth is the best form of Advertising. In the spring I run an ad in the Advertiser and I put out some fliers. As far as pricing goes my minimum is $25 for small city lots. I try to get anywhere from $1-2 a minute for mowing. For a contract template go to gopher software website( I can't remember their website). That is where I got some of the ideas for my mine, but for the most part I wrote most of my own.

Brandon
Old 05-17-2007, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey im in central ohio and am looking for a new mower. Any suggestions on where I should shop. I am looking for a hydro or belt walkbehind that is <$4000
Old 05-17-2007, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublinboy13 View Post
Hey im in central ohio and am looking for a new mower. Any suggestions on where I should shop. I am looking for a hydro or belt walkbehind that is <$4000
Buy a QUICK 36 or 44 depending on your usage .....you will be glad you did ....IMHO
21 Ft. Enclosed Trailer
6.5x10 Landscape Trailer x2
Quick 36 Samurai with Step-Saver
Quick 44 Samurai
Quick 44 DUALLY
Bobcat 48in. WB Gear Drive
Exmark Lazer Z 60in Ultracut 27 HP Kohler
22" Toro Pro
ECHO Backpacks
ECHO Trimmers w/ Edgeit attachments
ECHO Hedge Trimmers
Tanaka Hedge Trimmers
ECHO Chain Saw
Brown Bed edger
www.betteroutdoorproducts.com
Old 05-17-2007, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublinboy13 View Post
You have a couple of dealers close to you that I know of for sure. Voss brothers on Sawmill parkway and BPS on Industrial pkwy. Grab the yellow pages and look them up.

Since we have a boat load of different mowers do you have an idea on what brand you are looking at really hard.

JP
Old 05-17-2007, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by botomwatcher View Post
Hello everyone. Just joined a few days ago. Thought I would introduce myself, My name is Brian ad I live in Central Ohio. Anyway, been in business for myself for two years now. About a month ago, I left corporate America behind due to too many issues with empty promises and disappointments. So I promoted myself to CEO an President. HAHAHA.... They can kiss my A$$. Anyone know any proven methods for getting new accounts and which form of advertising works best? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. As I walked away from a good paying job for a global company, I thought "what the hell are you doing?" But I stuck to my decision and am loving every day of it. Also, are there any quick contract templates available out there? And one last question, I feel I am underpricing the work I am doing, What is the going rate in Ohio this year? I do not want to be one of those guys low-balling anyone.

Thanks

Welcome and since Buckeye is in your area he gave you and idea of prices in your area. My prices are on average of 30 per yard . But I am mostly in Clintonville and Upper Arlington and Grandview areas.

JP
Old 05-17-2007, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Actually Welcome to all the new Ohio members that have joined the chat.

JP
Old 05-17-2007, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello everyone havent been on lately been workin my azz off.Sure like everyone else.I hope everything is going good for everyone.Been doing alot of mowing and mulch installs.Well any ideas on how to find good help that seems to be the hardest part about this business.Talk to everyone later
Old 05-18-2007, 05:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking for a used Gator or something similar and also a 20+ft enclosed trailer.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpp View Post
You have a couple of dealers close to you that I know of for sure. Voss brothers on Sawmill parkway and BPS on Industrial pkwy. Grab the yellow pages and look them up.

Since we have a boat load of different mowers do you have an idea on what brand you are looking at really hard.

JP
I am looking into a Scag or Exmark but I am open to other decisons. That Quick 44 looks nice does anyone have one??

Ian
Old 05-18-2007, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbach View Post
I see a lot of sloppy work out there- especially today since it was raining! I did a mass mailing in Cuyahoga County this spring and recieved about 8% of my fliers back in the rain with a message " Vacant Home" Economic situation seems grim, in light of this. I lost several accounts this week. Either they can not afford the service or went to someone cheaper...how do I single out and rein in those clients that appreciate good work? It seems like there are a ton services out there that do a slop job and get away with it...I always blow off any surrounding pavement and make sure there aren't grass clumps all over the place...lots of lowballers out here..
LOL!!!! Good luck!!! I am kickin in the same stomping grounds as you are. Our good ole 10 dollar grass cutters are really putting the old damper on things. It seems like ALOT of people in this area really dont want much done or are going with the cheap ass lowballing SOB's!!!!! I really dont waste my time in Cuyahoga county unless it is Gates Mills, Mayfield, Highland Hts, etc